Thursday, March 15, 2012

Update

I have been on a blogging sabbatical over the past month or so.  I have been dealing with back pain that has had me cease any running, biking or swimming, while my sports doc tries to get it straightened out.  I have not been a happy camper.  In lieu of not doing anything to stay remotely fit, I have been eating like I am still training and have topped the scales at around 210 lbs (IM Arizona race weight was at or below 185 lbs).  I am looking to drop about 15 lbs over the next month or so by eating less, eliminating soda (have been doing this for the past month or so), and increasing exercise. 

I have started doing yoga to help with my back, and consequently to increase my core strength and flexibility.  I never realized how hard yoga can be, the past two classes I have gone to (appropriately called "Yoga for Athletes") have had me on the edge of regurgitation, only to be pulled back in the nick of time by a well placed "child's pose".  I am doing my best to do yoga three days a week, but with my work schedule that isn't always possible, but I am trying.

I did started swimming again this week, but I have to use a pull buoy because of my back.  I am going to get on the bike tonight and try to just get started again.  Wow, it is like I am following a "Couch to Triathlon" training program these days.

That is it for now, time to get some work done.  Cheers!

3 comments:

TrevorD said...

I hope your mental strength continues to hold true while you figure out your back issues. I know you have the power to fight through it and accomplish your goals.

"Being defeated is temporary. Giving up is what makes it permanent."

Stay strong.

Theia said...

Boo for back pain! I'm glad you at least have a few options available to you for workouts. Hope the biking goes well so you can add that back in!

Miguel Vieira said...

I know the feeling man. I have been sick for about 3 weeks this year already and it sucks not to be able to train when you got a race schedule to fulfil.

Thanks for the comment on the bike. It feels great on the trainer, now I gotta take it out on the road. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Take care

http://roadtoironmandaddy.blogspot.co.uk/