New Jersey State Triathon - Sprint or Olympic?
I am going to sign up for the NJ State Triathlon today, but I don't know which distance I should pick. I have only ever done the Sprint race, primarily because the Olympic distance always sells out before I have the funds to pay for the entry. Thus, I go with the Sprint distance and I am happy with that. Well, it appears that neither race is sold out yet, so I actually have a choice this year. Problem is, I don't want a choice, I like to have it pre-determined which race I will be doing. Here are my thoughts on each:
- I missed the top 50 last year by 30 seconds and I think I could really do well this year...maybe place in my age group
- The race is on Saturday instead of Sunday, so I will still have the rest of the weekend left to do with as I wish
- Since I would be done in just over an hour, my wife and kids wouldn't be too bored
- My Ironman training doesn't call for an Olympic Distance race until mid-August
- I won't be totally wiped for a long run or ride on Sunday as part of my training
- Packet pickup is on Friday night from 5pm - 8pm....a bit inconvenient
- The first year of this race I was signed up for the Olympic but went with Sprint because of poor swim training
- A lot of triathletes I know will be doing the Olympic distance
- It would be a good test for me on a fast course to see how I stack up again other area triathletes
- Packet pickup is on Saturday, Noon - 6PM, I could go earlier and watch a bit of the Sprint event
- I would be subjecting my family to two and half hours of watching me race
- I'm planning on doing another Olympic distance tri only two weeks later (Steelman Triathlon)
Maybe next year I can try the Olympic distance.