Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What To Do?

New Jersey State Triathon - Sprint or Olympic? 

I am going to sign up for the NJ State Triathlon today, but I don't know which distance I should pick.  I have only ever done the Sprint race, primarily because the Olympic distance always sells out before I have the funds to pay for the entry.  Thus, I go with the Sprint distance and I am happy with that.  Well, it appears that neither race is sold out yet, so I actually have a choice this year.  Problem is, I don't want a choice, I like to have it pre-determined which race I will be doing.  Here are my thoughts on each:

Sprint Distance
  • I missed the top 50 last year by 30 seconds and I think I could really do well this year...maybe place in my age group
  • The race is on Saturday instead of Sunday, so I will still have the rest of the weekend left to do with as I wish
  • Since I would be done in just over an hour, my wife and kids wouldn't be too bored
  • My Ironman training doesn't call for an Olympic Distance race until mid-August
  • I won't be totally wiped for a long run or ride on Sunday as part of my training
  • Packet pickup is on Friday night from 5pm - 8pm....a bit inconvenient
Olympic Distance
  • The first year of this race I was signed up for the Olympic but went with Sprint because of poor swim training
  • A lot of triathletes I know will be doing the Olympic distance
  • It would be a good test for me on a fast course to see how I stack up again other area triathletes
  • Packet pickup is on Saturday, Noon - 6PM, I could go earlier and watch a bit of the Sprint event
  • I would be subjecting my family to two and half hours of watching me race
  • I'm planning on doing another Olympic distance tri only two weeks later (Steelman Triathlon)
I think that last bullet pretty much decided it for me.  I think doing the Sprint Distance is probably the way to go this year.  It just fits better into my training and it won't weigh too much on my family from a spectating perspective.  Plus, I think I have the potential to really improve this year and knock some significant time off of last years PR.

Maybe next year I can try the Olympic distance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad it's on 2 separate days this year! Maybe I'll see you Saturday, I may volunteer for that day, but I'm racing Sunday.