Friday, March 26, 2010

Unscheduled Rest Day

I like that I am bummed at not being able to get in the pool this morning.  When my wife got home last night from jury duty and told me she had to go back again at 7:50AM this morning because they had unfinished business, I was bummed because it meant I could get in a fourth swim this week (my weakest discipline).  So because of my dear wife's third day of jury duty I am not going to be able to get into the water today, it is now an unscheduled rest day for me.

I suppose that I could get on my bike tonight once the kids go to sleep and put in an hour or so, but then again, I am supposed to do a 10K race (or ride an hour and twenty minutes) on Saturday and then an easy eight mile run on Sunday.  I am thinking that getting on the bike tonight might be the way to go....we'll have to wait and see.

As for everything else that is going on, things are good.  I feel like my swimming has really improved this week, my running is much more solid and I am handling faster paces better, and my bike could improve which will come with more time in the saddle.  My off-season has been far more productive than in years past, meaning that I haven't just focused solely on running, but have incorporated a lot of swimming and spinkled in some riding as well (albeit in my basement).  I think that my goal of 1:36 for the Unite Half Marathon is a definitely reality and that there is a chance that I could even lower that time a bit if I have a good day.

Thursday:  Yesterday was a good day of training....tiring but good.  I was up and out of the house at 4:58AM, yes a pre-5AM departure and was in the water swimming by 5:45AM.  The pool was a bit crowded again with each lane occupied and two already doubled up.  I eventually got one swimmers attention and was able to start swimming.  I did a very good 2,200M (500M warm up, 3 x 500M, 200M cool down), the 500s were are pretty consistant for the most part, but I did start to slow during the last 200 of the final set.  I am still not fast, but I am definitely getting more efficient in the water.  I am going to get the Total Immersion CD next week and hope to strengthen my swimming a bit more.

My Thursday run is always a tough one, and yesterday was no different.  It was 4 miles (including 6 x 1:00 at 5K pace) followed by 4 x 100 strides.  I actually did the first two miles was Chris (he had a longer work out planned that I didn't have the time to do) and we ran those at around 7:15/mile pace.  On my way back I had to mix in my on minute speed bursts over the remaining two miles, so I ended up doing on minute fast, then two minutes slower, one minute fast, two minutes slower, and so on.  What a tough two miles that was.  I think my overall pace was sub-7:00 as I was really trying to push on the one minute bursts and not slowing too much on the recovery.  The came the dreaded 4 x 100s, which I was very close to bailing one....but I didn't.  The were tough and my quads were pounding, but I finished them and I am faster because of it (I think).  Then it was time for a deserved shower.

This weekend should be a good one, weather is supposed to be nice, sunny and cool.  I don't have a lot in the way of mileage since this is a step back week for me and my half marathon training.  Lots of birthday parties for my girls to go to...three actually!  Should be fun!  Sayonara!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

November is a long way away - enjoy the day off.

By the by, haven't heard back from my TI instructor with regards to a post about who it all works. I don't feel I can convey anything at all, I'm lucky to not drown, so, hopefully she'll email and I'll get a piece up.