Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Northeast Training...ughhh!

Training in the Northeast U.S. is tough (I consider where I live to be the NE, some might say it is Mid-Atlantic), and by tough I mean the climate.  Here in Northeast Pennsylvania we see the entire gamut of climatic change over twelve months, sometimes over the course of a week or two.  Take this past weekend for example, the temperatures soared into the mid-70s, which is a good thing...most of the time.  The problem is that two weeks ago we have about a foot of snow on the ground and the temperatures were in the 30s.  In a matter of two weeks we went from snow storm, to monsoon (yes, we had a major rain/wind strom roll through on weekend as well) and then sunny skies and beach temps a week after.  

Why should I complain?  Should I not be happy that we have been blessed with such amazing weather?  I suppose I should, I guess I am ungrateful for Mother Nature's gift.  My problem is that my body does not adjust quickly to temperature change.  This is due partly to allergies (I am very allergic to pollen and I suffer greatly at the beginning of the season) and partly to my bodies make up.  I am a warm person by nature, meaning that I am usually never cold.  I don't cover up my legs when running outside until the temperatures are sub-20F.  My wife says that I emit large amounts of body heat, thus why she has a tendency to use my legs and back as a means of warming her frigid feet.  So when the temperatures escalate 40F over a two week span, my body goes haywire and I seemingly overheat.  

The way the end of winter/beginning of spring has gone, it is going to be a rough time getting used to warm weather.  FYI, the 70s are gone and are going to be replaced with 50s for the next week or so.  I guess I should be happy, eh?

Tuesday AM:  Enough complaining about warm, sunny days.  The past two days have been good days for training.  Yesterday I got my butt out of bed by 4:50AM (4:30AM will become a reality soon) and made my way to the pool for 2,000M.  It was probably the best that I have felt in the water in two months.  I have tried to incorporate some of the techniques I have watched on YouTube of the Total Immersion (I am going to be buying the DVD next week).  I tried to swim relaxed and steamlined, gliding through the water instead of powering through it.  My average times definitely came down and I was able to maintain my pace during my 4 x 300 sets.  I also counted my stoke length and found that my faster times were when I was around 21 strokes/length, as opposed to 22, 23 or even 24 strokes/length.  I am feeling good.

Tuesday PM:  I didn't plan to run yesterday afternoon, but some meetings ended early allowing me to get out at lunch.  I really didn't want to do the speed work out that I had planned (half mile warm up, 2 x 1200M@10K pace w/600 rec, 4 x 400M@5K pace w/200 rec, 4 x 200M@5K pace w/100 rec, and 1 mile cool down), so I was happy that I was going to be able to just do a normal 4 mile run.  Well, I ended up running into Chris in the locker room and the next thing I knew we were doing that damn speed work out (BASTARD!).  I curse him, but I am glad that I did it.  I wouldn't have done it if he weren't there and when we were done I was happy that we did it.  I will be stronger and faster having done it.

Wednesday AM:  I was on the bike this morning for 50 minutes, watching the conclusion of Pineapple Express (not a fan).  The ride was OK, but I was definitely feeling the Tuesday run a bit more than usual.  I was happy to get off of the bike and into the shower.  Then it was get the girls to school day. 

Wednesday PM:  Finally an easy run.  I ran 4.3 miles with Bill and Scott at around 8 min/mile.  We started out slower than that, but as is usually the case with Scott, get him talking about something that pisses him off and...BANG!....he picks up the pace.  I think our last 2.3 miles were run at 7:45/mile.  It was all good though, I felt OK and was happy that I didn't have to chase Chris.

That is it for today.  As usual, I need to get some pics up on here.  I actually have a new BlackBerry with a camera on it so I might actually be able to take some pictures from my rides and runs.  Hopefully this weekend if the weather is nice....but not too nice.  Well not too warm that is.  Adieu!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job on the training! The next 10 days are going to be ALL over the place with the weather. I just want it to be solidly Spring, is that too much to ask?!