Tuesday, March 30, 2010

WET, COLD, WINDY....and did I say WET!

Is it too much to ask for a sunny day, temperatures in the low 60s, and a slight wind that is just enough to keep you from getting too hot?  Really, can't I just have such a day at some point in the near future? 

What is today all about?  Well, in a word WET!  It has been raining for the past two days straight and to say that everything is saturated would be an understatement.  Yesterday I didn't run because of a long lunchtime meeting....there was no business meeting this afternoon, only my appointment with the elements, the cold, wet and windy elements.  My work out called for a short warm up then:  2 x 1,200M @ 10K pace (600M rec), 4 x 400M @ 5K pace (200M), 4 x 200M @ 5K pace (100M), and then a cool down.  I probably should have done this on a track after work, but I don't have that kind of time, so the roads of Whitehouse Station, NJ would have to do.  I won't bore anyone with the details, but know that the first 2.5 miles were run into a steady 20 MPH wind, with the rain slamming into me the whole way.  When I turned around I was in heaven, feeling came back to my hands, I could see again, and I was done with the 1,200Ms.  The bad part was that I was completely drenched and I now had to pick up the pace for the last half of the session.  DANG! 

About 40 minutes after I started I walked into the locker room freezing and drenched.  I had to ring out my clothes before stowing them.  The shower was amazing for the lone reason that the water was so hot.  I could have stayed in there for an hour....but damn work gets in the way (FYI, my hands are still not back to proper working order as I type this).  Despite all of my complaining about the weather I must always remind myself that it is important to train in conditions like today because you never know what nature is going to throw at you on race day.  My perfect example of this:  2008 - Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon.  The rain and wind started when we were entering the water for the swim and it didn't let up until well after the race ended.  You just never know what type of day your are going to get, so you better train in all conditions (oh, Steelman Triathlon last year has crappy conditions also.....lots and lots of rain!).  I am stronger for todays workout and it makes me appreciate the perfect days, those 65F and sunny days.

This Morning2,300M in the fish bowl!  That's right, that equates to 1.42 miles of swimming this morning.  That is farther than most people will run in a day....heck, walk in a day.  It was a good session and I am now able to correct myself as I swim and fix my form when I feel like I am dragging.  I did a 500M warm up then did a pyramid (at least that is what I call it), 100M, 200M, 300M, 400M, 300M, 200M, 100M and then a 200M cool down.  It took me a little over 48 minutes to complete it all, about a 2:03/100M average.  What is important is that my laps were pretty consistant and I felt good for 90% of the laps.

That is it.  Time to do what I need to do.  Peace out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ask and you shall receive..tomorrow the weather is supposed to be just that and then even nicer as the week progresses! It's supposed to rain in the am tomorrow, so don't let that fool you!