Monday, May 7, 2012

Broad Street & Soccer

It was Friday night when my wife and I realized that Sunday was going to be very chaotic.  Why it took us until Friday is beyond me.  I spend about two hours picking up my race BIB for the Broad Street Run (along with a friend of ours), and was eager at the chance to finally take part in a race, my first one since last July. 

When I got home that evening it finally sunk in, there was no way that I was going to be able to do it, the race that is.  There was not way I could expect my wife to run my two oldest daughters all over the place with an infant in tow.  Frankly, I was being uber-selfish to expect her to do so.  here is what our Sunday looked like:
  • 5:00AM - Leave for Broad Street Run
  • 8:30AM - Broad Street Run
  • 9:30AM - DD1 - Church Play
  • 9:40AM - DD2 - Dress Rehearsal for Dance Recital
  • 1:00PM - DD1 - Dress Rehearsal for Dance Recital
  • 2:10PM - Me - Dress Rehearsal for Dance Recital
  • 3:00PM - DD2 - Soccer Game
  • 5:00PM - Me - Soccer Game
 It was pretty evident that something had to give and it was me that had to not be selfish (with some rationalization from my wife).  I decided to give my BIB to our friends husband so that it wouldn't go unused.  All in all I was bummed, nothing more.

So, without the Broad Street Run to do, I was given permission to play soccer, filling in for some missing guys on a friends team.  Wow, they were bad (not that I played especially well).  It was a an Over-40 League game and our guys played like a bunch of 50/60 year olds.  I think the final score was 7 - 2 or thereabouts.   I managed to play a part in both goals, assisting on the first and scoring the second.  I should have had two more, but hit them over the bar by about a foot or two, power over placement rarely wins.  Regardless of the unfavorable outcome, it was great fun getting to kick the ball around.

Big week this week, hopefully I will hear some news on the interview I had last week (fingers crossed), I plan on purchasing my wheelset (got a great deal), and kicking up training a bit as well.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Theia said...

Ah man, that stinks about the race. But you definitely made the right choice. Good luck with the interview news!

Miguel Vieira said...

I know about giving up races man! We have two daughters and my wife is pregnant and in the past two months I skipped a 16 mile run and an Olympic tri so I could help out over the weekend with ballet, swimming, etc, etc! Good thing you still managed to play soccer and have some fun!

Thanks for the comment on the blog! I will be going hard and hope to be somewhere around your suggested time, but I just don't want to go at it with high expectations and feel bummed by not reaching the results.

Let me know about the job interview! I am renting my house out here! :) Lovely routes in this area :) :)