Saturday, May 8, 2010

Two Girls and a Lavallette Weekend

I am sitting on my parents deck down in Lavallette, NJ.  "This is Me" by Demi Lovato (Camp Rock soundtrack) is playing loudly as my two daughters sing and dance...actually I have to admit that I do sing the Joe Jonas part of the song despite the protests from the girls.  The only thing missing is my lovely wife who has run off to Naples, FL for a girls weekend, sunning it up and staying out later partying (actually heard that their latest night has been 10:00PM). 

I got up and out of the house this morning around 7:00AM to get in my 1:30 ride, from my 'rents down to the end of Island Beach State Park (around 29 miles).  The first half of the ride was a little slow since there was a south wind, not really strong, but enough to keep my average speed around 17 MPH.  The ride is a nice one, very little traffic, surrounded by sand, grass, some trees and the occassion bit of wild life.  Yeah, it is straight as an hour for six miles, but it could be a lot worse.

I couldn't wait for the turnaround after riding into the wind for 18 miles or so.  Once I got the end, I ate a Pop-Tart, drank some Gatorade, and headed back. 


The difference going north was signicant as my average speed was an easy 24 MPH and I was flying.  I was so happy that I went south first into the wind and could then reap the benefits of the wind on the way back.  All in all the ride was a success and when I got back to my 'rents, my little one was there with a big smile on her face (my girls are great!!!).

As for the past few days, it has been a great week of training for me.  By Wednesday I was feeling better following the tough day on Broad Street.  I got up early, put in 30 minutes on the trainer in the basement (watching last weeks Modern Family) then ran four miles or so at work at lunch.

Thursday was a funky day in that my wife left that house around 4:00AM for the airport, and I had morning duty with the girls.  Everything went as smoothly as I could have hoped, I got them dressed, hair done, fed them breakfast and to their respective schools all in record time.  From there it was to the pool to swim 2,500M (51 minutes or so) and then home to get some work done before the girls got home from school.  After dinner I was able to get on the trainer for 30 minutes while the girls played on the computer, they were so great to give me the time to get my training in.  They really are great kids, my wife and I are so lucky.

Friday was a work from home day before heading to the shore.  A pretty uneventful day aside from a 5+ mile run along the beach and bay.  It is such a nice change of pace to run down here, flat, cooler, change of scenery, just nice.  My run was good in that I started out around 7:57/mile and I did negative splits, finishing my last mile at 7:33 pace. 

That's about it for now.  I am off to the beach with the girls.  No, it isn't going to be a sit on the beach with beach chairs and get tan, more like bring fleeces and just run around and have some fun before heading back for lunch.  I will be bring the camera with me to take some pictures of the girls and our dog Willie.  Peace out!

No comments: