Saturday, February 5, 2011

Transformation

This past month has been unlike any other I have had in my adult life.  January started out pretty well, at least the first couple of days were good.  I had let my hair grow for about six months or so and decided to cut it short again on January 1st (the pic to the right is the "before"...look at all of that gray hair!).  Things seemed to be going well at work and I was feeling very good about a new job opportunity.

That would all change within a day or two.  I was told that I probably had a hernia and then found out that my job was being terminated the following day.  The potential "new" job wasn't moving along as quickly as I had hoped and I was getting nervous.  Despite all of this I wasn't terrible depressed, most likely because I just despised my job and was happy to have that stress gone from my life.

Things were then up and down, depending on how you looked at them.  First, I was able to spend a lot more time with my daughters which was great.  My lower back was in bad shape, which prevented me from working out at all.  I finally got some positive news about the potential new job, but nothing concrete.  I had to cancel my gym membership as a result of my losing my job (plus the fact that I was pretty immobile because of my back).  I did manager to grow a beard for about two weeks which the ladies in the house were not too happy with.  I was starting to get into a funk and hoping that things would change.

About a week ago everything started to turn around; I started seeing my sports doc and my back is feeling much better, I got the call regarding my new job and I start this coming Monday, and I have been given the OK to start running again tomorrow (albeit easy).  Yes, things are definitely getting better.  I am hoping that I can start really training this coming week as I really need to get back into shape.  My weight is way too high, my fitness way too low and my aspirations for the upcoming season definitely, well of course VERY high. 

So, 2011 didn't start off all that great, but I have a feeling that it is going to pick up and be a great year.  My optimism is soaring and I think it could be a great year for me.  Let's hope so!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the blog transformation too! Great header picture. That's some tall hair you had there. Looks like 2011 is the start of new haircuts. Happy to hear that you're feeling less stressed, I'm wondering if some of your back pain is from your stress? Hopefully it is and you'll be feeling much better very soon! Glad to see 2011 has already started to turn around.

Sladed said...

ROLLER COASTER! Hoping this new trend continues.

TrevorD said...

Those string of events would leave anyone in a state of bewilderment and disarray. Stay the course and I'm sure things will turn around...