Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Six Days & Counting

The Broad Street Run is only six days away and I can safely say that I am woefully under prepared for the race.  I have done my best over the past couple weeks to prepare myself for it, but I suspect that Sunday is going to be a suffer-fest for me.  Regardless of my training, or lack thereof, I am still hoping to run it in under 1:20:00 (8:00/mile pace).  I will be running it with my friend Bill, who I will be relying on to pace me for the duration, or at least until he pulls away from me with four miles or so remaining.  Despite my lack of training, I think I can hold a sub 8:00/mile pace for ten miles.....God I hope I can!!!

As for my training, I did manage to make it five straight days in a row.  Friday night was a 45 minute spin on the bike and Saturday was a 9.1 mile run in the pouring rain.  It was slow going, but I did get it done.  Needless to say, Saturday afternoon was a little rough for me, I was extremely sore from the run.  It is a far cry from six months ago when my typical training run was 8 miles, which included a good amount of speed work.  I have a quite a long road ahead of me until I get into race shape.

I wasn't able to do anything on Easter Sunday because I was busy with all of the things that come with the holiday, e.g. going to church, preparing for company, cleaning, entertaining, etc.  I suppose I could have gone out for an easy run before bed, but I was just so tired.  Monday is my traditional day off from training, so I didn't even attempt to head out, although I probably should have gotten back into P90X.  Oh well, I could always start again tonight.

Speaking of racing, I haven't been a pool since mid-January and it doesn't look like I am going to be swimming anytime soon.  Work is a killer right now and I just don't have the funds to join the local "Y" right now.  I guess I am going to have to wait until our local pool opens up Memorial Day weekend and just do all of my swimming there.  I can assure you that there will be many a wetsuit swim in the chilly waters of Fanny Chapman.

Technically this is a taper week for me, but then again how does one taper when two weeks ago I was logging a whopping 10 miles a week?  I guess there will be no taper for this week, maybe just take off on Friday and do an easy 2 - 3 mile run on Saturday.

That is it for now, time to get back to work and set up some appointments.  Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck on Sunday! Maybe I'll see you there!! You'll do just great, have confidence and everything will work out. Think of it as you being super rested and ready for the race!