Monday, June 27, 2011

Good Weekend

The past few days have been really great, Sunday especially.  As I was lying in bed last night I couldn't help but think about how lucky I am to have the family that I do.  I don't just mean my wife and daughters, I also mean my parents and in-laws.  Let me explain.

This past week my two daughters were at my wife's parents, spending time with their grandparents.  This helps my wife and I an in that we don't have to put the girls in summer camp (lot of $$$) and they get to spend a lot of time with their Nanna and Pop-Pop.  Also, it gives my wife and I a chance to recharge our batteries, get some things done around the house, and for me specifically, focus a bit more on training with out feeling guilty about neglecting my kids.  Yeah, my wife and I miss the girls after a few days and from what I understand, the girls miss us, but all in all they have a great time doing things that they wouldn't normally do if they were home with us (e.g. going to the Liberty Science Center, etc.).

So what did that mean for me?  Well, it started on Friday night when I was home alone (my wife had dinner plans and was then going to go stay at her parents for the night).  I got home and went for a stellar bike ride.  It was a little over an hour and I was able to ride on some roads that I had never been on before.  I just felt so good riding outside not feeling like I had to hurry home to take care of something.  After my ride I decided to head over to the pool and get in a swim workout....I almost bailed on it because of the threat of a thunderstorm.  I felt better swimming than I have in a long time and managed to get in 1,700yds....granted they were slow yards, but I did manage to finish them with out any near-drowning episodes.  I guess I still have a little residual swim fitness remaining from IMAZ.

Saturday I was able to sleep in to the gaudy hour of 7:15AM....how sad is it that 7:15AM is "sleeping late"?  After putzing around for a hour (fedthe dog, ate Po-Tarts, etc.), I headed out for my scheduled one hour run.  THE RUN SUCKED!!!  I don't know what is up with me, but my running lately is horrible.  I was struggling to stay under a 9:00/mile pace.  I was just wiped out; I don't think my bike/swim workout from 12 hours earlier didn't help much either.  I plugged forward and ended up running around 70 minutes (7.8 miles).  After that I had to do some yard work (cut the lawn, finish mulching,etc.), but not before I went into town to get a "real" breakfast, a pork roll, egg & cheese on a plain bagel....HEAVEN!!!

I spend the rest of the morning waiting from my wife and kids to arrive at home.  It was around Noon that my wife called and told me they hadn't left yet and would be a while.  With that news I went to the pool to chill out and sneak in a few casual laps.  It was the first time in about a year that I have been able to solo go to the pool on sunny afternoon and be able to just relax.  I loved it.  I think I headed for home around 4:00PM in hopes of seeing my family.  Unfortunately my wife and kids didn't get home until around dinner time Saturday night.  At least I got to see them for a little bit before bed time.

Sunday was a great day!  I was up and out of the house for a my bike ride by 6:30AM.  I decided to ride down through New Hope/Lambertville and up in to NJ towards Princeton (I didn't quite make it there though).  I didn't ride spectacularly well, but overall the ride was really enjoyable.  I love getting on my bike and riding, even if I am pounding up steep hills with my quads screaming.  I put in around 44 miles in little over 2.5 hours (yeah, I was slow....but I had to walk my bike over the PA/NJ bridge).  Following the run I wanted to try and play soccer, but my lower back was sore and I didn't think it would be wise to run around in the condition I was in.  Plus, I really wanted to spend the time with my girls.

The majority of the day was spent at the pool.  I primarily followed my my oldest daughter around, doing what she wanted me to do with her.  There was a lot of time on the diving board and trying to be the "cool" Dad (I think I succeeded).  Simply sad, we had a great time!  After the pool we headed home for dinner and then some "outside time".  I played with girls for about and hour or so, just throwing a mini-soccer ball as high as I could and watching them try and catch it.  The three of us were laughing the entire time.  It really was just a perfect way to end the day.

So ended the weekend.  This morning I am back at work and the girls are at my parents for the week.  I miss them already, but I know that they will be spending a lot of time at the beach (Jersey shore) and doing things that they don't normally do with my wife and I.  I will get in another good week of training with out guilt, get some more things done around the house (painting the bedrooms), and spend time with my wonderful wife. 

Cheers!

1 comment:

Miguel Vieira said...

Hi Jamie,

Seems like a great weekend and now a very well deserved week off from kids. I hear you when you say you miss them already as I am exactly the same way... I suppose any loving father/mother would feel the same.

If you ever race in Europe give me a shout and good luck with all the training. I have started following you.

http://roadtoironmandaddy.blogspot.com/