Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake


Yesterday at approximately 1:52PM I experienced my first earthquake.  I was at work in Center City Philadelphia, on the 41st Floor of our building.  Out of no where, it felt like the floor was bouncing up and down.  One by one my co-workers stood up from their cubicles and emerged from their offices asking if everyone felt what they were feeling.  Immediately I did a quick search on Google and saw that there had been an earthquake centered in Virginia.  No on had a clue as to what we should do, do we stay put?  Do we get out of the building?  Why are there no announcements from the building management telling us what to do?  Someone in our office suggested that we get out of the building....oh and not via the elevators, we needed to walk down 41 floors to street level.  At this point I will point out that the whole lot of us did exactly the wrong thing.  We should have stayed put and if anything ducked under out cubicles for cover from any potential falling debris from the ceiling.  Nope, we decided that we should walk down 41 floors and go out on the street so that should there be any damage to our building or the surrounding buildings, we would get rained on by glass and concrete. 

Long story short, it ended up being a 5.9 magnitude quake with the epicenter in Virginia.  We felt it pretty strongly here and everyone emerged unscathed.  If nothing else it was a pretty cool thing to be a part of and the fact that there was little to now physical damage makes it that much better.

I wonder if that is a sign from God telling me that I need to get my fat ass back to working out regularly?  Probably not, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to take it as such.  Cheers!

3 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

We felt it too in Central Ohio, just weird having it on our side of the country

Miguel Vieira said...

Wow... i thought about all my friends in the US and Im just happy it was nothing too serious. Im glad you and your family are all ok. Keep those miles coming man!

Theia said...

I love how everything revolves back to training. :) We're not obsessed at all...

Glad you're OK. My brother is in NYC and said he felt sick for hours afterward from the swaying of his building. I was in the car and didn't feel a thing. Rats!