Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Eight Years Old

It was eight years ago that I became a father for the first time.  My oldest daughter, "The Diva" turned 8 years old today.  "The Diva" started the day not feeling all that special, probably very tired from the past few days, a virtual endless Christmas.  She is happy that her birthday is here because she knows that she will be getting presents tonight once my wife gets home from work.  "The Diva" is feeling very entitled today, as though everyone should bow down to her and cater to her every whim.  "The Diva" is in for a rude awakening.  "The Diva" needs to understand that it is her birthday and that she hasn't been named Queen of the household.  It will be a good day once we are all on the same page. 

So, it is just past 11:00AM and I need to get some things started.  I can not just sit around the house all day while the girls watch Scooby Doo cartoons all day.  It would be good to take them ice skating or maybe over to the rock climbing gym, but with my little one (5 years old) not quite "there" yet, neither option is a possibility.  Hmmm, now what?  We need to get out of the house; we have been stuck in here for the past two days and we need to get out and get some fresh air.  Maybe we'll just head into town and walk around for a bit before getting lunch. 

Anyway, back to me and the theme of this blog....triathlon training.  First and foremost, my training has slipped big time now that the holidays are here.  I have been pigging out on chocolate cookies and taking plenty of seconds at the dinner table.  I have packed on a solid 13 - 15 lbs since IM Arizona and I am disgusted with myself.  I haven't really found anytime to get out to run over the past five days and have only made it on to the trainer two or three times.  Swimming hasn't happened since last Thursday.  I had to be one of those New Years Resolution-types, but I think January 1st is going to be the day that I kick my training back into gear. 

I am kind of jumping around here....sorry....but this does tie in with the above.  For Christmas my wife got me two great books:
  1. Strength Training for Triathletes
  2. Training Plans for Multisport Athletes
I am looking to increase my strength this coming year, but no necessarily get bigger.  I also am looking to increase my bike considerably and also be able to run faster off of the bike for the longer events.  Of course, I need to keep swimming and improve there where ever possible.  I really need to take a few minutes and really lay out my race year and put together a solid training program.  I want to capitalize on the successes I had in 2010 and use them to drive me in 2011.

Time to get back to the girls!  Cheers!

1 comment:

Sladed said...

It's usually tough when you don't have a plan to commit to, even if you have a race goal in your future. Some people don't need that structure but most do. This should be our off season and we aren't supposed to worry about this stuff right now. In spite of that, I'm not willing to give up having a training plan.