Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fat Tuesday

I have a feeling that postings here are going to be less and less frequent.  It isn't that I don't have a lot to say, it is more about the fact that the intention of this blog was to track my journey to my first Ironman.  I have a few things planned for 2011, but nothing of the magnitude of what I did in 2010.  There will be a couple half marathons, a bunch of triathlons and most definitely a half iron distance event at the end of the season.  There just isn't that BIG event that I am used to having.  I guess I will just have to make the half iron distance race my BIG event.

So here I sit typing away and I feel fat.  Yeah, I am about 16 days out from Ironman Arizona and I feel like I have put on a solid 15 pounds.  The reality is that I have definitely put on some weight, probably around 7 lbs, but I feel like a fat slob.  I haven't done anything the past two weekends that resembles exercise.  I have had intentions of doing something but it never materialized.  I have gotten advice from some Ironman veterans (Thor and Scott), basically I should do what I want to do, what I feel like doing, and not what I feel obligated to do.  If I am going to run or bike or swim, it should be because I want to and I should make it fun.  That is a tall order because honestly, I really don't like running all that much and it is too friggin' cold out to get in a outdoor ride these days.  Swimming, well, I want to swim just because I don't want to start at square one again like I do every season.  I want to maintain some swim fitness and build on it come 2011.

So what have I been doing the past few days?  Like I said above, I didn't do anything this weekend aside from spend some quality time with the family.  We got our Christmas tree on Saturday which excited the women of the house to no end.  Sunday was tree decorating which I left to my lovely wife....I watch football all day in the basement, my sanctuary.  I did have ambitions of getting on my bike, but I don't think it got above 35F all day.  I did make the decision to start getting back in the groove on Monday and that is exactly what I did.  Monday I was up at 5:00AM and I hit the gym.  I did an easy 1,000m swim (it was tough), lifted some weights (I am hurting from that) and chatted with some friends about my Ironman (I hadn't been to the gym in a while).  I followed the morning work out up with an evening run when I got home from work with my dog.  Today I bailed on the gym and did a solid 4 mile run at work (31:13, 7:47/mile pace).

I am feeling a lot better and want to maintain the level of fitness that I am at.  I also want to lose my post Ironman fat and get to a better weight for me so that I can be more competitive in my future races.  I really need to put together an off-season list of goals and a 2011 race schedule.  Maybe for my next post.  That is it for now.  Cheers!

2 comments:

TrevorD said...

Dude, I'm totally with you on battling the post-Ironman slump. I'm struggling to get up in the morning and want to sleep in every day. Watching what I eat is a constant battle given that we're not burning 3-5k calories a day anymore.

The cookies and holiday candy are definitely my weakness and I too have grown outwards a little in the last 3 weeks.

My only saving grace is that I'm signed up to do the PF Chang RnR marathon in January so the motivation to PR is high, it's just convincing myself to make it happen.

Here is something that will make you and your wife laugh (I know mine did):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

Have a good holiday and I'm looking forward to seeing what your 2011 holds. Cheers.

Sladed said...

You have some great plans for future races. The HIM, while not as 'momentous' is definately a worthy pursuit. Tho you may feel that you have lots of room to improve at the IM distance, it's just a matter of setting different goals and having different motivations for the 70.3. For me that distance could stand alone as something to focus on if i wanted. But since my kids are in their 20s i have more of a time luxury. The other thing is, the toll it takes to race a 70.3 isn't as severe as what we experienced after IMAZ.

Hope you'll continue posting occasional on your Triathlon efforts.

One more aside... my bike split this year was nearly the same as last year despite the poor conditions. Comparing my placing last year with this year, I was 12-15% better. I share this just to give you some perspective on how you likely would have been faster had the conditions been "normal". I know it doesn't necessarily mean a direct correlation but your time might have been a good percentage faster as well.