Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On the Mend

My once daily blog, became a four day a week blog and is now a weekly blog.  Amazing how things gain and lose importance so quickly. 

First things first, it has been 32 days since I completed Ironman Arizona and I am feeling good.  I have begun to get back into the swing of things, swimming a couple days a week (albeit only ~1,000m at a time), running three days a week and riding the trainer one or two days a week.  I am definitely taking it easy and you can see it on me (additional 10 lbs of mass added to my already "athletic" figure).  As great as it has been to not have to follow a rigid training schedule, I think it is time to get back on one.  I do miss the structure and need to have a plan.

I had originally hoped to do an Ironman 70.3 race in San Juan, Puerto Rico in March 2011, but I don't think that is in the cards right now.  The expenses would be a bit too high at the present and with job stuff still up in the air, it wouldn't be a smart trip to take.  Damn!  I really wanted to do that race and make a nice vacation out of it.

So it looks like I am going to be focusing on the UNITE Half Marathon at Rutgers University.  I did this race last year and set a PR despite being hit with back spasms the week before and having to go with no training for the better part of a week leading up to it.  I am hoping to get somewhere close to 1:30:00, that is if my legs are capable of running so fast for such a distance.  The training for the race will begin on January 1, 2011!

Now I move onto some specifics about my current injuries.  I did go to my sports doctor on Monday and he didn't seem to all to concerned about my pain.  He attributed it to going from training for triathlons, basically unilateral movements and then going and doing multilateral activity (soccer) without any training.  He worked out my hip flexors pretty well and told me that I can start playing again.  Funny how my right leg feels fine right now, but the night of the injuries, that is the leg that was giving me the most pain.  Now my left leg is the one with the residual discomfort and even numbness on the outside of my thigh.  He said it could take a couple weeks/months before it feels normal.

So that is pretty much it for now.  Christmas is three days away and I am excited to spend it with my wife and kids.  Merry Christmas everyone!!!

No comments: