Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday is not Fun Day

I am having quite a bad run of luck over the past four months as it relates to injuries.  I have spouted off about everything up to the heel injury I suffered back in early February, so everyone should be up to date.  Well, wouldn't you know that last Wednesday night I was playing indoor soccer (an 11:00PM game) and I made a very innocent tackle on a ball, slipped a bit and hit my left knee on the turn.  I knew that I was going to get a nice turf rash as a result, but I kept on playing and didn't think much of it.  As the game progressed, my knee got a bit more sore, but it didn't seem to be any big deal.  The game ended (we won 2 - 1, I played OK), my knee was a bit sore and I figured I would just ice it when I got home.  Well, I iced it at home, took some ibuprofen and went to sleep.

The next morning it was definitely still swollen, a bit more than the night before.  I was tight to bend it, but it didn't really hurt.  I was going to make a doctors appointment but thought as long as I continued to ice it, take ibuprofen and rest it, the swelling would go away.

Here I am on Monday morning and the knee is still swollen, the pain is minimal, but I know I can't run on it.  I have a doctors appointment at 3:30PM today and I just want to know what the heck I did to it.  Of course I have gone and self diagnosed it (knee effusion) and fear that I will probably have to get it drained and will then be out of commission for a short while.  I am hoping that isn't the case, but you never know. 

Aside from my bad run of minor injuries over the past four months, I am having a tough time getting back into the training groove.  The injuries are definitely making it any easier on me; it is very tough to get into a schedule when I have to amend it due to my unique and varying pain.  I have all but decided I will not be running the UNITE Half Marathon on April 18th (unless I have a great prognosis today and can get back to training ASAP).  It would be silly for me to run it, I would be lucky to run at 8:00/mile pace and would probably be miserable doing it. 

So frustrating!  I just want to be healthy and start training again.  Ugh, I still don't belong to a pool yet which is killing me as well.  Even P90X is tough right now because of the knew thing. 

Enough complaining, time to move one.  My next post will be more positive I hope.  Ciao!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the knee, sucks and scary all at the same time. Also, I have been following fo ra while now and was wondering if you have any begineer training prgrams or routines you recommend?

TrevorD said...

Sorry to hear the injuries keep popping up. That is tough mentally as well. I've watched you endure other challenges too and turned things around. Stay positive and rest...your body is talking to you!!!

Trev

Theia said...

Ugh, maybe your body really is talking to you. Not what you want it to say, I'm sure, but maybe you do need to just take it easy for a little while to see if that helps. Good luck!

P.S. Where in PA are you?