Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ironman Arizona....One Year Later

Around this time last year I was running the final couple miles along Tempe Town Lake towards my first and only Ironman finish.  Tonight I am sitting in a hotel room in Richmond, VA and I just watched my Blogger friend Skip Slade finish IM Arizona in 11:47:00 (at least that is what I think it read as he finished).  It was awesome to watch a friend finish an Ironman, but deep down it really ate at me that I wasn't there doing it as well.  I am a bit depressed because I am so far removed from it, so far from any type of race shape.  A 5K would be a significant undertaking right now.

So, what am I going to do about it?  Here is my plan, my philosophy, my proposed journey:
  • Tomorrow morning, November 21st - get up and go for a run.  After that, I am going to head over to the local triathlon shop, "3 Sports" (it opens at 10AM) to pick up a cheap pair of goggles and swim shorts so that I can go swimming at the YMCA adjacent to the hotel.  I am fortunate that I can use the facilities free of charge.
  • Tuesday morning, November 22nd - get up early and hit the pool, and follow that up with a run.  My first appointment is at 9:30AM, so I should have plenty of time to get this all in.
  • Wednesday, November 23rd (an onward) - set an off-season training program, concentrate on losing some of the excess 20 lbs I have packed on over the past year, get back into P90X, and set a race calendar for 2012.
That is what I am missing right now, a goal.  All of my life, the times when I have gained weight and lost fitness, it was because I lacked a goal...a race to train for.  I have finally gotten a handle on my business travel and I am going to take advantage of it and use it to my advantage.  There is no reason that I can't find the time to train (even with a one month old daughter at home).

So, the next question is, what is going to be my "A" race for 2012?  I already know that I want to do Ironman Arizona in 2013, but what is going to be my races for 2012?  Here are some ideas:
  • Ironman 70.3 - Pocono Mountains
  • Bassman Triathlon (Half Ironman)
  • Others???
I would love to do Ironman 70.3 San Juan, but I think that might be tough since it is a March race and I don't have the cash for that right now.  Any ideas, please post.

That is it for now, it is time to hit the hay, I have a big day ahead of me.  It all starts tomorrow!!!!  Cheers!

5 comments:

TrevorD said...

Thanks for the comment the other day on my IMAZ post. I hope you find a way to get back into the swing of things and set a goal for the coming year. That's how I roll too - otherwise, I'd be a lump on a log.

Trevor

Unknown said...

It's always great to have a plan. A half in San Juan would be A-mazing, but that requires some serious cash flow. I'm more than likely going to do Mooseman which is Sunday June 3rd. There's also NOLA!

Theia said...

Sweet! I'm with you; I need a plan and a goal to keep me accountable.

Have you ever done Eagleman? Great race and can be very challenging despite the flat topography. (Not that I've done it, mind you, but I did spectate there for 4 or 5 years when my ex did it.)

P.S. Haha, the word verification is hersizes. Yes, I know my sizes are big right now!

Theia said...

There's a really good article on Kona in the new Outside magazine. It will totally inspire you to get going! Heck, it makes ME want to do one, and we both know that's never happening. :)

Miguel Vieira said...

Jamie,

I haven't been here in a while but I promise I'll stop by more often. Lots have hapenned lately as you will see by my blog.

I understand your need for a goal so here are my two cents:

1) Register for local, short races, on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. This will give you something to aim for even if it is a 5Km, 10Km or short duathlon during the winter months.

2) Definitely pick an A race for 2012. REmember it does not necessarily need to be an IM Sanctioned event, unless you want it to be. My A race next year is a Challenge Family Iron Distance event, thats why I say that.

3) Dont stress yourself man. Remember to enjoy having time to...relax! Once you do the above, there will be little time left to relax! :)

Take care and regards from London
http://roadtoironmandaddy.blogspot.com/