Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 1 in the Pool

Thursday, January 7, 2010, that is the day that I started my first winter swimming training ever.  With that said, it is important to note that today, Friday, January 20, 2012, I was back in the pool. starting my road back to legitimate triathlon shape!

So how did my swim workout go?  Surprising well, considering the last time I swam was September 2011.  I kicked it off with an easy 150m, which would have been 300m had my shoulders, back and arms not been feeling the ill effects of a four month layoff.  I managed to add another 100m to my "warm-up" before I got into the next part of my swim....10 x 50m on 20 sec (probably should be 10 sec, but I was so tired).  I managed to keep my 50m's under a minute but I was getting really sore.  On a positive note, I miscounted and actually did eleven 50s (a bonus 50m in distance, yeah!).  I finished up my swim with a 200m cool down with a pull-buoy (cheating, I know, but I needed it).  All in all a very successful 1,050m swim, not bad for my first time in the water for a while.

One thing that I need to get off my chest that I wasn't too thrilled about this morning at the pool.  Instead of having the pool divided into six lanes, the have it divided into three large lanes.  No problem for me I suppose, that is until I see the guy in the "medium" lane (my lane of choice) swimming down along the left lane line and then up along the right lane line, swimming in a "circle".  I know that this isn't anything out of the ordinary for some pools, but this is my first time with this and I am not a fan.  I prefer to have all of the lane lines out with two people per lane with each person staying to their side of the lane.  I just think it works better, at least for me.  This is the one thing that is going to take some getting used to.

Post-swim I did venture into the gym to try some weight training, but it wasn't happening.  My left shoulder is bothering me and I was just beat.  I really didn't sleep all that well last night, nor many nights this week.  I opted to hit the showers and get on the road to Philly.  I'll have to run when I get home tonight.

Ciao!

3 comments:

Miguel Vieira said...

Thats what Im talking about Jamie! slowly but surely you will get back into IM shape, you'll see! I hate when that happens in my pool back n the UK so I switched my swimming time to real early mornings (6:30am) when there's only a handfull of us swimming.

Take care.

Theia said...

I hate circle swimming, primarily because I'm so slow that I feel like I'm in people's way.

Funny story: two weeks ago I showed up for my swim and the pool was PACKED. Two or three people in each of the four available lanes (two lanes were swim team and therefore unavailable). I knew a guy in one of the two-person lanes, so I squatted down and asked if we could circle. He said sure. We waited until the other guy in the lane came to the wall, and the guy I knew said, "Hey, she wants to jump in. Do you want to circle?" The unknown guy looked up at me and said, "Not really," and then kept swimming. WTH????????????

TrevorD said...

Keep it up!