Wednesday, January 18, 2012

YMCA....and I don't mean the Village People version



It took a lot of internal debate regarding the cost, potential usage, and benefits.  Even when we were at the facility, we were still talking about if this was something we should do.  After all of the talk was done we made it official, as of 6:30PM last night, my wife and I joined Central Bucks Family YMCA!!! 

Now comes the hard part, getting my sorry ass out of bed every morning at 5:00AM and driving the six miles over there and actually utilizing it.  If I don't get up and get there prior to the crack of dawn, then there is little hope of me going.  [Prepare for an internal pep talk] You did it for ten months when you were training for Ironman Arizona, there is not reason that you can't do it now.  Heck, you were getting up at 4:30AM or even 4:15AM back then so that you were there when the gym opened at 5:00AM so you could get your hour and a half swim work out in.  This is actually going to be easier on you and you will be in better shape as a result.  So buck up, suck it up and get up every morning!!!

The first obvious question is...did you get up and go to the gym this morning?  Sadly, I did not.  Will I be going tomorrow?  I hope to, but I do have a soccer game tonight at 9:30PM, which means I won't get home until around 10:45PM.  Getting up Thursday morning might be a bit tough, but I will try.  Friday morning is a definite and I hope to make it there this weekend if everything aligns correctly.

Oh, a little recap on the past few days of exercise:
  • Sunday:  7 mile run - I ran the toe path along the Delaware River from Stockton, NJ, over the bridge to PA, then down to New Hope, over the bridge to Lambertville, NJ and back to Stockton.  It was friggin' cold out, but I had a great run (slow, but happy to be out on a beautiful sunny day).
  • Monday:  Was ready to get on the trainer, but my wife was pretty sick, so I had to take care of the little ones.  By the time I had "me time" it was 10:00PM and I was getting ready for bed.
  • Tuesday:  45 tough minutes on the trainer.  I adjusted the magnet on my rear wheel and all of a sudden I was riding 2 - 3 MPH faster.  Dang, I guess I wasn't going as slow as I thought for the past two years.
  • Tonight:  Soccer game, probably a two mile warm up run before hand to loosen up my muscles...it seemed to work last week.

That is it for now.  The quest for fitness begins, well, it actually began already....the quest for fitness continues tonight!

1 comment:

Miguel Vieira said...

Yeah, way to go man! You gotta keep pushing and remember the toughest part is always getting started. Its just like you said... if you did it while training for the IM, no reson why you cant do it now !:) Take care