Thursday, October 15, 2009

No Socks = Day Off

The weather today in a word is CRAP. It is raining out, the temps are barely 50F and the wind is picking up. Despite the bad conditions outside I still planned to head out for a five mile lunch time run. I was looking forward to trying out my new Zoot jacket, to see if is in fact waterproof. Most people here in my office think I am a lunatic for running the weather that I do. I don't thing there has been a day that weather has stopped me from going out and getting in a run. I think this goes back to an article I read in Runner's World where they mentioned how you should run in all conditions. The reason being that you never know what the weather is going to be like on race day and you should be as prepared as possible.

Around 11:45AM, I headed down to the locker room to get changed. It was empty, it appreared that I was the only brave sole (or dumb ass) to head out today. I was just about fully dressed when it dawned on me that I forgot to pack socks. I thought for a minute and then came to the obvious conclusion that this was a sign that I shouldn't run today. Yes, it is a total cop out, but I just wasn't looking forward to cold, wet feet for what would have been a five mile run. So back to my desk I went and that puts me where I am now....catching up my writing here.

Tuesday
A gorgeous day, sunny and cool, but not too cool. Chris and I ran a different route than we have run before, five miles in all. It was a bit hilly and I was dragging a bit, but I managed to keep up (or he slowed down). About 2.5 miles in it started to get a somewhat hilly which used to get to me, but now I try to look at it positively. Hills make me stronger and once I run up a hill, there is always a downhill. Here are the stats: 5 miles, 39:41 (7:56/mile pace), 163 BPM. As usual, my HR is a bit high but that is because I am running with Chris and he is faster than I am and I have to run harder to keep up.

Wednesday
Another great day, a bit cooler but still nice. It was a third day in a row with Chris and today had to be a quick day. He was trying to get me to go farther than the four miles I had planned (my boss is in town from Chicago and I didn't want to be away from my desk for too long). Each time we had a chance to extend the run he would prod me, but I held strong and pressed on with what I had planned. It was around mile two that Chris started to pick up the pace, this was after a mile long climb that slowed our pace considerable (Mile 1: 8:00; Mile 2: 8:35). I brought attention to our quickening pace and he simply said that he was just trying to get me back sooner. Well the next two miles were pretty quick, 7:38 and 7:08, with an extra tenth of a mile at 6:23 pace. I think we both felt pretty good today and it would have been great to go a bit longer. Stats: 4.11 miles, 32:04 (7:48/mile), 158 BPM.

On a non-training note, I had my oldest daughters soccer practice last night and it was a blast. I am pretty sure that everyone had a great time. I know that I did. At the end of practice I had all of the girls line up on one side of the field, then I told that to get on their bellies. Then I had them race over to the side of the field where I was. Then I had them all get on their backs and race to the opposite side on the word "GO" (I did fake them out a couple times before yelling out). They all loved it. Oh to be a kid again and to love doing sprints....how I hated them when I was in college playing lacrosse.

Thursday
No running today....NO SOCKS! That is unless I get home from work tonight and try to fit one it, but I doubt it. I will probably head out tomorrow instead.

I'm looking to get out and do a eight or nine mile run sometime this weekend. Hopefully the weather agrees. Adios!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't chance no socks in this rain either! This weather is CRAP! I'm not happy.

On another note about your mention of getting a camera on your last post, definitely do some shopping around online. I've purchased a few cameras in my time and always get amazing deals right near Christmas time, so if you can hold out until then it's worth it! Also, check out Amazon, I ordered my last camera from there (a Canon) and I love it!