Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shoe Review - K-Swiss Keahou II

Wow did it take a long time for me to get a new pair of running shoes.  I had originally ordered my K-Swiss Keahou II from TriVillage.com, but they neglected to tell me that they were back ordered.  So then I ordered the newer version from RoadRunnerSports.com because I had a $25 coupon (for orders over $100), and I neglected to see that they wouldn't be shipped until February 4th.  So frustrating.

Anyway, I did finally receive them last week and when I took them out of the box I couldn't believe how white and clean they were.  It has been a while since I have run in new shoes (too long in fact), and I was psyched to get them on.....so I did just that...I took out the inserts and slipped my "Power Steps" into them....and walked around the house for about an hour.  Not the maiden voyage I had hope to have in them, but it was something.

So what do I think of them?  First thought is that they feel lighter than my Nike Air Pegasus.  Second, it is odd to be wearing a running shoe that is not Nike (I have been wearing Pegasus and Vomero for the past five years).  I have about 30 miles in them so far and I must say that I am a fan.  I was nervous about changing shoes because the last time I did so I ended up dealing with plantar fasciitis for about three months.  I can honestly say that I feel no pain in my very high arches, the cushioning is probably a bit better than the Pegasus, and overall I like the look of the shoes.  Heck, I even ran my modified half marthon this past Sunday in them and they felt awesome.  I am not a real shoe snob, so I can't report on their flex or rebound or any tecnical jargon.  I can only say that my feet feel comfortable in them and I am running pain free.

Granted I have only put about a weeks worth of running in them, but so far so good.  I hope that I can get close to 400 miles in them before they wear out.  I anticipate picking up an additional pair of them in the next month or two, hopefully I can grab a pair of the older version on sale (see below), I actually like the look of that model better than the new one.

Today, no run scheduled for today.  Actually I was going to get up early and get some miles in on the bike (on the trainer), but decided to get an extra hour of sleep.  I will head down tonight once the girls are asleep and ride for about an hour and watch some Modern Family and maybe the rest of the 2001 Ironman World Championships that I did finish last week.  It should be a good night.....sayonara!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look pretty legit! Glad you like them!

DaveMPhoto said...

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at the K-ono & Keahau. I'm now leaning toward the Keahau as I've also been a fan of the Nike Vomeros and worn them for the past year. They're not easily available, but I was just at my local running store and asked them about them as they are starting to carry KSwiss.

Good luck with the training. I just starting doing sprint triathlons this year and will start doing longer distances next year.