Friday, November 12, 2010

Fast Friday

Another quickie as I don't have a lot of time on my hands.  Ironman Arizona is now only nine days away, I can't believe that it is pretty much right around the corner.  I am feeling good, very little post-workout soreness, sleep has been pretty good, and not real aches and pains to speak of.  I am pretty much where I would hope to be at this point, around a week out from what is going to be my greatest athletic challenge ever. 

Here is how the week has gone:

Tuesday - I did get my 45 minute run in at lunch and it went pretty well.  I didn't just go through the motions, I did my intervals and made the run count.

Wednesday - I was up at 5:15AM and in the basement riding on the trainer by 5:25AM.  I put in 45 minutes riding then did a quick change and did a 30 minute run.  I averaged around 8:08/mile pace on the run, not great, but not bad either.  I later found out that I was only scheduled to do 15 minutes...no worries.

Thursday - I was up and on my bike by 5:40AM, getting in my last ride on her until I am out in Arizona.  The reason, well, I had to drop her off at Cadence Performance Cycling in Philadelphia, PA.  I was actually sad when they took her away from me.  I guess the rest of my bike workouts will have to be done on my mountain bike or on my old Cannondale road bike that is way too small for me.  I didn't have time to get my swim in, work and family just didn't allow it to happen.  I didn't fret about it, from what I have been told, anything I do from here on out is not going to make me more fit and if I don't do a workout, it isn't really going to negatively affect me.

Today - I woke up at 4:15AM for the last time (from a training perspective) and made my way to the gym to do my swim workout.  I was in the water by 5:15AM and it was then that I realized that this will be my last swim at the gym for a while, at least that is what I am thinking.  I ended up doing 3,400m and I felt really good doing it.  I saw a couple guys who know I am doing IMAZ and they:  1) wished me luck, 2) told me I would do well, because I worked really hard, and 3) told me that it was going to hurt.  I could have done without hearing that last comment.  As for the rest of the day, I am going to be working through lunch (so no lunchtime run), and then once my wife gets home tonight I will be heading out for a 45 minute run with a 7.5 minute pick-up at the end.

So that is everything in a nutshell.  I really do need to put up a "real" post here in the next few days.  I need to say some things that are a long time coming, but want to make sure I say them right.  Anyhow, have a great day and catch you later.  Adios!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

9 days?! You are SO ready! I'm so excited for you! One of my co-workers is trying to talk me into signing up for it next year. I'll wait to hear how you liked it. You've put in so much hard work and you're going to do so well. I can't wait!

Thanks too for all the tips, support, and encouragement for NY. It was amazing!

Sladed said...

Well, yes, it will hurt but as long as things go fairly smoothly and as long as you pace it right, it won't hurt til sometime on the run. And that piece of it will depend on how hard you decide to push it. Having put in the training, you are ready to go. Now's the time to be thinking about how you got through some of the tough, long workouts and how you can call on that strength come Sunday.