Friday, November 5, 2010

Stupid Quadriceps

It is funny how you can miss one or two workouts in a week and feel like the bottom is dropping out from under all of the work you have put in over the past ten months or so.  Well, that is how I feel today.  As I said in my post the other day, I started getting this strange pain in my right quadriceps muscle on Monday and by Tuesday afternoon it was pretty painful.  I didn't do any training on Wednesday, figuring that that I would only do more harm than good if I were to have done any biking or running. 

Then came Thursday, I made it to the pool at 5:00AM and got in a straight 3,500m without incident.  I was slow, but I made the distance without feeling too tired.  Good for me.  As I was walking around the locker room I made the decision that I was going to have to visit my sports doctor to get some treatment on my quad.  It just wasn't feeling right, it wasn't painful when I flex the muscle but rather when I walk, probably something to do with a stabilizing muscle or something. 

Anyhow, I managed to get into see my docThursday afternoon and he worked on it for a solid 30 minutes, rubbing, stretching and just flat out beating the crap out of my leg.  He gave me the OK to bike but to run only it I didn't feel any pain.  I did bike later on that night for about an hour (the battery in my Garmin died before the hour was up so I was guessing) and it was pain free which was a very good thing.  A side note about my doc is that he is a triathlete; qualifying and racing in Kona twice.  I trust what he has to say and how he decides to treat me.  Also, he is always good for some interesting stories and useful advice.

Today I was up bright and early and at the pool swimming by 5:10AM.  I put in a solid 3,400m, with lots of short interval work (12 x 75s, 12 x 50s & 12 x 25s).  I felt really good, much quicker than I have lately.  The fact that my leg didn't hurt all that much was good news as well.  I was supposed to get in an hour run today, but I thought it best to rest it for another day and make sure that I can get in my Saturday BRICK tomorrow (four hour bike FIB 30 - 45 min. run).  I am not worried about the bike, but the run might be tricky.

FYI, my doc said that if it doesn't feel better soon, I need to get back in for some more treatment.  I am hoping that these three days off from running with do the trick and tomorrow it will be back to normal.

That is it for now, time for bed, I have a 75 mile bike ride on tap for tomorrow...funny how that doesn't seem all that far now.  Have a great night!

1 comment:

Sladed said...

Very smart, and awesome to have a doc like that who you can have confidence in.