Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm Heeeerrrrreeeeee

Every day it becomes a bit more real.  With every passing hour it gets a little bit closer.  With each passing minute I am that much closer to starting and hopefully finishing. 

I arrived in Arizona yesterday morning.  My trip started at 3:40AM when I hopped in the car with my wife and she dropped me off at Hamilton train station for a 4:44AM train to Newark Airport.  Of course I woke up at 3:15AM and couldn't go back to sleep, so my already early day started a bit earlier than expected.  I will spare you the details of the trip out here, not really much to say, everything went very smoothly and I was at my parents house by 11:15AM MST. 

After taking care of some work related items, I ate lunch and then headed out for a round of golf with my father and Uncle Russ.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day, 75F and sunny, and heck I was playing golf (which I love).  We had a great time, even if none of us played all that great.  Actually I played particularly poorly, but I did manage to score and eagle on a par 4 (almost drove the green and then chipped in from about 30 feet).    It was a great way to start my trip here in AZ.

After golf I had planned to head over to the pool and get in a nice 3,500m swim.  Well, it seems there was swim team practice from 4:30PM - 6:30PM which meant there would be no swimming for me.  DAMN!!!  No worries, I didn't stress over it, instead I headed back to my 'rents, go changed and then went over to my Super Aunt Dot's for an awesome dinner (Filet Mignon).  I started to fade around 8:00PM, the result of my being awake for going on 19 hours straight.  By the time I went to bed I think it was around 9:30AM, way too late for the time I had gotten up that morning.

Today was a mellow day.  After waking at 4:15AM and laying in bed for 45 minutes, I got up chatted with the family for a bit and eventually headed out for a run at 6:20AM.  I put in a solid 5.6 miles in about 45 minutes.  I felt pretty good, not great, but good.  I putzed around for a bit after that, ran some errands with my Dad.  Around 12:00PM I finally got in the swim I wanted to do the day before.  I felt really good in the pool; it was really nice to swim in a nice warm outdoor pool that was virtually empty.  So nice!

After the swim I did nothing except watch "Avatar".  I figured it would be good for me to get in some solid relaxation, basically just veg out for a bit since I know the next two or three days are going to be a bit hectic.  Here is what I have in store for the rest of the week:
Thursday
Athlete Check-in:  starting at 10:00AM
Lunch in Tempe:  ~11:30AM
Pick up bike at TriBike Transport: 1:00PM
Pick up race wheels:  Immediately after I get my bike
Ride with fellow athletes:  ~2:00PM
Pick up wife and kids at airport:  7:53PM


Friday:
Last mellow workouts in the AM
Do fun stuff with family
Sisters family arrives:  4:45PM
Athlete Dinner:  5:30PM - 7:30PM

Athlete Meeting:  7:30PM - 8:30PM

Saturday:
Check bike in:  10:00AM - 3:00PM
Try not to freak out:  The rest of the day

That is about it for now, I am actually going to be heading to bed now, I am beat and I need to get my sleep.  I'll write more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm SO SO SO SO excited for you! You're going to do great. Glad you got out there okay. Sounds like you're settling in well. Enjoy the experience! You DESERVE it! Kick A!

TrevorD said...

Welcome to AZ bro. Hopefully the weather holds and you get to enjoy your stay and the race. Look for me - 780 - gettin' done in a couple days. Good luck to you!!!