Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hot Ass Florida

Just when the Pennsylvania weather cooled off and I was getting back to my normal running times....well, I had to go off to Orlando, FL for a conference. Any why is this not a good thing? Well, the temps have been over 90F and the humidity is equal to that. Needless to say, my pace has slowed considerably and I am feeling like crap when I am out running. I guess it is official, I am just no good in really hot and humid weather. I am starting to rethink my choice of Ironman Arizona as my race of choice.

Sunday
I arrived in Orlando around 1:00pm and initially had plans to go and play some golf. I couldn't justify the costs and quite frankly it was friggin' hot out. I decided that it would be good to get out and do a quick run and then hang by the pool. So off I went, into the heat, into the haze, into hell. It was around a three mile run (2.88 miles) and I actually went at a decent clip, 8:02/mile (23:09). Of course my heartrate was soaring and I was soaking wet.

After my run it was off to the pool to kick back and relax. It was so nice to be able to sit by a beautiful pool and just unwind for a bit. It would have been a lot better had my family been there with me. Something about just being by yourself in a beautiful place and not being able to share it with them.

Monday
I awoke somewhat early, around 6:40AM and intended to get up and get right out. It actually took me about 20 minutes to drag my ass out of bed and actually hit the road. The one disadvantage about where I am staying (Marriott Orlando World Center Resort) is that there are no remotely decent running routes. The resort is on a highway and there are no trails or sidewalks within 3/4 of a mile. I ended up going out of the resort and making a right and heading towards Disney. I had all intentions of making it to Downtown Disney but I just didn't have it in me. I managed to see Cirque du Soleil tent off in the distance and read a bunch of misleading signs (e.g. "Downtown Disney .5 miles", more like the exit was .5 miles). The run ended up being 5.57 miles in 47:06 (8:27/mile), HR 160 BPM. I started out pretty strong but then just got slower and slower as the sun rose higher and higher and it got hotter and hotter.

I spent the rest of the day hanging by the pool for a bit and making my rounds at the conference. Oh, the highlight of the day was that I was able go to Emeril's Orlando at Universal City Walk. It was one of the best meals I have every had in my life. I had the pepperoni flatbreat, Apricot-Chili Glazed Half Duck Toasted Almond Basmati Rice Pilaf, Sautéed Rapini and Smoked Duck Jus (the best duck I have ever eaten), and for dessert Emeril’s Banana Cream Pie with Banana Crust, Caramel Sauce and Chocolate Shavings (recommended by my wife and it was AWESOME!).

Today
It was tough getting up this morning. I wasn't up late, but the bed in my room is so comfortable. I don't think I left until around 7:30 and I probably should have listened to my body and just stayed in bed. It was a very rough and slow four mile run. It was hot and my heart was racing. So, 4 miles, 35:43 (8:56/mile, multiple walk walking breaks from 1.5 miles on to lower my skyrocketing HR), average HR 154 BPM, but was well over 160 BPM for most of the run which necessitated the walking breaks. I guess I have get up earlier tomorrow and try and beat the heat.

I did manage to get in the pool and attempt to swim a bit. One word: DISASTER. I haven't swam in probably three weeks, since our pool closed. I am guessing that the fact that I hopped into the pool about 15 minutes after my run didn't really help at all. I think I swam maybe 300 yards before I called it a day and got out. I was just beat.

Tonight I had another great dinner, this time at Hawk's Landing Steakhouse (right on premises). I had the Blackened Beef Tenderloin to start and then the 16 oz. boneless ribeye with a side of Steakhouse Hash Browns with Smoked Bacon & Onions.

Well, it's 10:00pm and I am stuffed from my dinner. I think it is time for bed. Big news is that I'm excited to see my wife when she comes down here tomorrow. We are having a little vacation together following my conference, it should be great.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have fun on your mini vaca! Florida weather is the pits, but come January I'll be aching for it I'm sure. I think you'd do fine in AZ. It's a 'dry' heat, and even though it's still hot hot hot, I didn't find it to be unbearable (This was in September when it was still 94ish)