Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Unexpected Off-Season

Well, it seems that the off-season has snuck up on me. Little did I know that the training that I have been doing over the past month was going to be all for nothing. It is a shame too because I feel like my cycling has really improved and my swimming definitely has.

I did my last race on Sunday August 9th, the Steelman Olympic Distance Triathlon and was hoping to do maybe two more races before beginning my off-season training. I had planned to do the Skylands Triathlon this coming Sunday, but an unexpected business trip popped up and I can't race it. There is maybe one or two more options if I really want to race, both down the shore and in October. I am probably going to pass on both of them since I am trying to save some money up to get an indoor bike trainer so I can do some solid winter training.

The past week has been a bit of a mess, with no real consistency or structure. I did have all the best intentions but nothing ever really materialized. Here is a quick recap of the past week:


Thursday
Did a 4.3 mile run with Bill at work. Apparently I was a bit tired and my pace was slow, around 8:30/mile (36:29). I recall that the weather was a bit warmer than the days prior.

Friday
I was fortunate to be able to work from home which meant that I was able to go for a lunch time ride. I geared up and was about to leave when I noticed that the battery on my Garmin was down to one line. Damn! I decided to use it anyway, for as long as it would last. I decided to do the Federal Twist hill and then come down the road just north of it. About halfway up the hill the watch died. I felt really good for the most part. I powered up the hill and was damn proud of myself. I then made my way along the ridge and back down to the river. It was just a great ride. I think I did the 21+ mile route in around 1:13, for an average of about 17.7 MPH.

Saturday
I hit the road around 8:15am for a quick 5 mile run. It was beautiful out and I was really excited to get out and run. I did a loop south of where I live that starts on a somewhat busy road but then heads into the woods a bit and has some rolling hills. It was just such a great morning to be outside. I did the 5.1 mile route in 41:13 (8:06/mile) and could have gone a bit faster if I wanted to, but I didn't. I did have to get home and let my wife head out for her daily exercise.

After my run and a much needed shower, me and my daughters made it over to the pool for what would be their last day of spashing around. The water was cold but we had a really good time.

I ended the day/night with a quick 800 yard swim (my last time in the agua). My first lap 100 yards was in 1:33, the FASTEST I HAVE EVER SWAM 100 YARDS!!! I was psyched. the next 700 yards was pretty mellow, but I went at a good pace (1:43, 1:36, 1:48, 1:42, 1:45, 1:56, 1:43). It was then time to get home and spend some time with the family.

Sunday
I went to the shore to see my sister, brother-in-law and my nieces and nephew. I planned on going for a run but it never happened. I brought my wetsuit with me thinking I might get a swim in....cloudy skies and 30 MPH winds negated any chance of that. So what did I do? NOTHING!

Monday - Labor Day
I was home with the family and after some pancakes, my wife and I decided to take the girls for a hike. We had a lot of fun walking the trails of the park; it was really the first time that the girls have been in the "forest". Aside from a little trailblazing with ended up in some pricker bushes, it was a great experience. Heck, we even brought our dog Willie with us and he was passed out for the whole ride home.

Tuesday
Ah, back to training after two full days of from any running, biking or swimming. I hit the road with Bill and we did our standard 4.3 miles in 36:12 (8:27/mile). Yeah, it was slow and neither one of us was looking to push the pace. Looking at my HR and the obscenely low number of 145 BPM means that I really took it easy.

Well that does if for my week recap. I hope to get out and run tonight after "Back to School Night", although I don't know if it is going to happen. I have my fingers crossed.

No comments: