Thursday, November 5, 2009

Maintaing the Status Quo

Training the past few weeks has been pretty good. Actually, training has gotten to be fun again now that my pace has gotten significantly better. I attribute this change in my running times solely to the cooler temperatures. Despite this rejuvenation in my desire to get out and run more, I still feel like I am running just to run and not necessarily running with a purpose....not that it is a bad thing. I am so used to training for something, a short or long term goal, that I haven't really just run for the sake of it. There is something that is freeing about throwing on my running shoes at lunchtime and not knowing how far or how fast I am going to go. I just decide on left or right and I run until I feel like turning around.

So, I guess these days I am all about just keeping on keeping on or as they say in that High School Musical song, I just have to "stick to the status quo". Note: I have a 6 year old daughter who loves "High School Musical", thus I have been forced to watch it, and its sequels numerous times. I am not proud that I know every song from each movie as well as most of the lyrics, but it is a fact of life and I am OK with the rest of the world knowing this.







Now on to more interesting and less embarrassing things:

Tuesday - Day off - Had to work from home and couldn't convince my 6 year old to run with me (I would have thrown her in the jogging stroller). We did go for a short bike ride to Rite-Aid to pick up some candy for some benefit fairs I had to work. Other than that the only running that happened was when my daughter begged me to let her try running on the treadmill in our basement....it was hysterical. Her top speed was around 4 MPH, although I did crank it up to 6 MPH and stayed behind her in case she went down.

Wednesday - 4.3 miles, 35:07 (8:09/mile), 160 BPM - This was a 6:30AM run that I just had the hardest time completing. I am not a morning runner, at least yesterday morning I wasn't.

Today - 4.34 miles, 34:05 (7:52/mile), 163 BPM - Ran with Chris and as usual he was pushing the pace for the last two miles or so. We saw a girl who works in our building and he was determined to beat her back. We did beat her....thanks to a 7:27 last mile. Bastard!

I am looking forward to a relaxing night tonight, watching Community, Parks & Recreation, and The Office (of course my wife will be watching Greys and Private Practice...yuck!).

No comments: