Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trainer: Round 2

This will be a quick post...short on time but want to get it in here anyway. I wasn't able to run during lunch yesterday so I decided I would hope on the bike (now firmly affixed to my indoor trainer) and do my best to ride for an hour. It just so happens that "The Office" is on for two hours straight on Tuesday nights (TBS), so that gave me something to watch while riding (and also making me laugh). I went in with a different mindset, I was going to find the right gear where I could somewhat comfortably keep my cadence right around 90 RPMs. What ever speed that gave me was fine.

The long and short of my night on the trainer...it went much better than the first night. Here is what I have learned thus far about riding on the trainer:
  • I need to have a fan set up in front of me when riding because I get super hot and sweat like a pig...it is really gross
  • I have to have something on the TV that is either extremely funny or super motivational
  • Getting into the aero position is going to take some practice on the trainer, much different than riding outside (I need to pick up a riser block or make one)
  • I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, how riding this through the off-season is going to benefit me come Spring
  • I look forward to working out with my wife, she on the treadmill and me on the trainer (we were working out together the first night and it was pretty cool)
  • Having 1 - 2 bottles of water on hand and a towel are crutial to making it through a workout
Tuesday (ride): 15 miles, 50:18 (17.9 MPH), 142 BPM, 87.7 PRMs - I found the right gear and rode comfortably for 50 minutes. I know that I got a good workout in because I was drenched in sweat and my legs were the slightest bit wobbly after. A good night!

Today (run): 4.33 miles, 33:29 (7:44/mile), 155 BPM - I ended up running with Rob today. I happened to run in to him about a half mile into my run. I think I have mentioned him before on her, but he came in second in the NJ State Triathlon (Sprint) this past year. He is recovering from a bit of a calf injury so he isn't running too hard, but still fast enough to give me a good run. Good pace and my heartrate was very low for a change! Yea!

That is about it for now. I guess I need to find a pool to swim in soon. Swimming is by far my weakest discipline and I am totally procrastinating. I am thinking that I will try to do a free month at the local YMCA for December and then join HealthQuest in January....maybe work out a deal or something. Hasta luego!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your trainer tips are crucial, hopefully I'll be getting one soon! I'm also hoping that working on the trainer a lot will really help me in the next racing season, I sure need all the help I can get on the bike (and run and swim)! Glad you checked out Lululemon (or at least your wife did). It's a great store, albeit very expensive. If you lived closer to Princeton she could go to the free yoga class on Sundays! They're great.

Great work on your runs and bike.