Monday, June 21, 2010

Lavaman Triathlon - Race Report

Where to start, where to start.  Let me start with a quick recap of Friday and Saturday, then shift into Sunday.

Friday
I was up early and into work so that I could get my hour run in (then shower and head up to my desk).  I am so glad that I chose to do the early morning run as opposed to the afternoon run.  It wasn't all that hot but the humidity was high.  7.4 miles in an hour, extremely hilly first half of the run (9% grade for about 1/2 mile).  I felt good though and was happy with my effort.

Saturday
Again, I was up early so that I could get my two hour ride in.  I was out the door a touch before 6:00AM and headed south through Ortley Beach, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park and into Island Beach State Park.  There was a bit of wind from the south, but nothing that made my ride too difficult; my average speed was right around 18 MPH heading south.  As is typical down the shore, I was able to speed up a bit on the way back getting up to an average of about 22 - 23 MPH.  I didn't push it all too much though because of my race on Sunday morning.  The rest of the day was spent watching the World Cup and hanging on the beach.  It was a good day.

Sunday - LavaMan Triathlon
I was really looking forward to doing the Lavaman Triathon in Lavallette, NJ this year.  Last year I was recovering from a pulled groin muscle and didn't really perform as well as I knew I could.  I downed a Pop-Tart and some Gatorade before heading over to the race site.  I showed up in transition around 5:40AM and had a good rack spot (2nd bike in).  There was talk of jellyfish in the bay which was not a good thing, especially considering my run in with them last year.  I tried not to dwell on it too much and focused on positive thoughts.

Swim - .33 miles
I waded out to the start with the rest of my wave, passing a bout three big-ass jellies, and tried to focus on having a good swim.  BANG! The cannon sounded and we were off.  I had a few slow pokes in front of me (which was weird considering I am usually one of them) and after about 150M got past them and into a decent rhythm.  I was feeling good and swimming a good line.  Then about about 100M later it hit me, starting on my right cheek and stretching all the way across my face to my right ear....a jellyfish sting!  It friggin' killed.  I stopped swimming for a minute, knocked my goggle off and yelped.  I composed myself, took a deep breath, fixed my goggle and kept going.  I just wanted to be out of the water at that point.  I pushed and pushed and finally popped out on solid ground.  Swim time - 9:01 (65 out of 245)

T1
I was out of my wetsuit and onto my bike in not time - 47.1 seconds (one of the fastest transition times)

Bike - 13.75 miles
Simple put, heading south 20 MPH, heading north 24 MPH.  It was a three loop course, which meant six times I had to do a complete 180 degree turn around which dramatically had an impact on my speed.  The bike was really uneventful, I just tried to hammer with the wind at my back and keep a high cadence into the wind (100+ RPMs).  The best part of the ride was that I was able to pass my parents multiple times.  My father was right near transition and my mother was at the north bike/run turn around (near their house).  I definitely picked up the pace after seeing them.  I think I was only passed by one or two guys (full on race wheels and aero helmets) while I passed 15+.  Bike stats - 38:00, 21.7 MPH (32 out of 245)

T2
I could have been a bit faster in T2, initially racked my bike in the wrong spot.  Still out of there in 1:05.

Run - 3.8 miles
My legs were a bit heavy off of the bike but my Garmin was telling me that I was running at 7:20/mile pace.  I was happy with that pace and I plugged along counting down the miles until I would be done.  I was passed by three guys on the run, all three in my age group, all running at sub-7:00/mile pace.  I wasn't going to catch them, they were just too fast.  So my strategy was to keep an even pace and pick off runners as best as I could.  I think I passed around four other runners before I hit the final straight way, a 300M stretch over the sand to the finish.  I considered not trying to catch the two guys in front of me, but then my competitiveness won out and I kicked it into high gear. 

Below are the sequence of photos from the finish line photographer.  They are classic!  The first picture you can't see me because I am hidden behind the guy in white, but in the next you can tell that he knows I am coming.  The third the legs are going crazy and fighting to beat me, and the fourth I am a bit sad that I couldn't catch him, but overall happy with how I did.


You can see my K-Swiss shoes on the right, and my right hand reaching down to congratulate the guy who edged me out by less than a second.  He laid there for a few minutes, probably trying to calm his nerves and regain his composure.  ;)

I caught the first guy about 20 yds from the finish (he tried to keep up but couldn't). The second I wasn't able to catch, but I did give him quite a surprise when he heard me coming...his legs went crazy as he scrambled to cross the finish line first. He ended up wiping out and landing face first about ten feet after crossing the last timing mat. It was classic....turns out neither one of them were in my age group. Word was following the race (confirmed by race director) that the run was actually 4 miles, not the 3.8 that was advertised. Run stats - 29:29, 7:22/mile (31 out of 245)




Finish Stats
1:18:25
AG - 5th out of 29,
Male - 25 out of 172
Overall - 31st out of 245

Final Recap
I was really happy with my race.  I gave it everything I had and I have no regrets.  I took about seven minutes off of my time from last year, thanks to a good swim (2 minutes), quick transitions (2 minutes) and solid biking and running (3 minutes).  Great first triathlon of the year for me.  I will definitely make some improvements in my swim and bike. 

I have a rest day today and then it is back to business tomorrow (swimming and running...maybe soccer).  Yee haw!!!  Peace out!

No comments: