Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Terrific Tuesday

It has been a few days since I posted here.  It isn't that there hasn't been a lot going on, it is that I haven't had a lot of time.  I will do my best to recap everything for the past five days or so and try to make it as not-boring as possible.

Friday
I only had one swim completed leading up to Friday morning, so I knew that I had to get in the pool....so I did.  I felt pretty good.  Honestly, it was five days ago and I don't recall the details, but I am pretty sure that I would remember it if it didn't go well.  I hurried to work after my swim because the World Cup kicked off that morning at 7:30AM and I wanted to follow the first game (South Africa 1 - Mexico 1).  I am really psyched that the World Cup has started, I am such a soccer fan and this is the best tournament in the world!!!

Friday afternoon brought an hour and 15 minute run that would have to happen around lunch time.  I was not looking forward to it as the temperatures were rising.  I downed half a bottle of Gatorade G2 and headed out, looking to do one of the harder runs around here, up Deer Run Rd. (tops out with a 9% incline for the last 1/4 mile).  It was slow going and I wasn't going to pressing too hard, trying to keep my heart rate in Zone 2.  I think I ended up running about 8.7 miles, very tough miles that is.  FYI, bedtime came very early later on that night as I was BEAT!!!

Saturday
I was really excited for Saturday because my oldest daughter and I were going to participate in a World Cup Festival put on by our local Athletic Association.  We headed up around 8:00AM and got ready to play in a 3 v. 3 tournament (yes, BOTH of us!).  She played first, three 15 minute games with a 15 - 30 minute break in between them.  She did awesome and so did her team. They demolished each of their opponents and ended up winning the tournament.  As for me and my team, we did really well, going 4 - 1.  The one game that we lost, we should have won.  I was to blame for the tying goal for the other team and then we lost with 16 seconds remaining because of a bad turnover.  Regardless, both "K" and I had a great time. 

Side note, I tweaked my left groin muscle during the first game and spend the rest of Saturday afternoon icing it while watching the U.S. tie England in one of the most anticipated games of the World Cup.

Sunday
I was up and out of the house by 6:00AM to get my two and a half hour ride in.  I opted to ride down to the river and into NJ, then just go north along the Delaware River until I hit and hour and 15 minutes and then turn around.  My ride took my all the way up to Holland, PA where I stopped for a brief moment to take in the foggy morning before heading for home....it was starting to get hot out and I wanted to get home ASAP.  The ride back was uneventful which is a good thing...although I did see a good sized turtle hanging out on the side of the road.  Ride stats - 2:30, 46.5 miles (18.6 MPH/avg).

The rest of Sunday was all about DANCE!  My daughter had her dance recital at 1:00PM so around noon we were in high gear, getting ready for the big event.  So, we watched about 13 or so dance routines before my daughter came on stage and we were ready.  How did she do?  She did GREAT!  (what can I say, she is my daughter).  We were so proud of her, she only started hip/hop dance about three months ago and she more than caught up with the girls that have been taking classes for six months or more.  About 30 minutes after "K" went, it was my turn.  I was the slightest bit nervous, but it was a good nervous.  How did I do?  Well, my wife says that I was the best one up there (but then again, that is my wife talking).  I do know that I did the whole dance right, I smiled and laughed the whole time.  I am really glad that I did it, with my one issue being that my dancing daughter didn't get to see it.

Monday
Rest day.  Not more more to say than that.  I wanted to run over to the pool and get in a quick swim, but it just didn't happen.  No worries, I did need the rest.

Today
I put in a straight 2,500M swim at the pool in about 52 minutes.  Not really fast but a good swim none-the-less.  I felt like the last 500 meters I really improved my pull with my right hand. I had a bit of a hitch that I hadn't notices.  I tried to be a bit more fluid and I cut about two or three seconds off of each 100M after that.

This afternoon I was only able to get in a 45 minute run (actually 44 minute).  I left my desk around noon, putz'd around waiting for Chris, then we had some watch delays.  We didn't actually start running until 12:30PM and running for an hour wasn't in the cards.  No worries, we ran about 5.5 miles for an average pace right at 8:00/mile, with a lot of hills thrown in.  A good tough run at a solid pace.  Ciao!!!

No comments: