Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bad Luck, Good Fortune

I mentioned in my last post that I had snapped my rear derailleur cable on my bike and that I had to bring it in to get repaired on Monday evening.  Well, I brought it in and asked them to replace all of my cables, with the thinking that if one goes, there is a good chance that some others might go as well.  It was then that I found out it was going to be friggin' expensive!  After getting over the shock of the price, I realized that I was long overdue for some routine maintenance and I ended up having a tune up added onto the total.

I was standing in the bike shop thinking how it was horrible that I was going to have to spend all this money on cables and a bike tune up.  What bad luck!  Then I started to ponder the ramifications had the cable snapped on a long ride out in Central NJ or worse yet, during my half iron distance race in a few weeks......or even worse, during Ironman Arizona.  So even thought the cost was a bummer, the timing really couldn't have been better.  You could say I was very fortunate...at least that is how I choose to view it.

Tuesday
I was up early and in the pool by 5:15AM, as usual.  I had a really good swim, like really happy, smooth and things going really well swim.  I have said it before that I am not a fish, I am more of a sea turtle; however, during my swim on this day, I had flashes of fish-like behavior.  I recall my 400m splits being:  7:59, 8:07, 8:07, 7:58, 7:49 - really happy with the last one!  Total swim time:  1:13:00

3,600m = 500m wu, 4 x 100 drills, 5 x 400m @45sec, 8 x 50m drills, 300m cd

I wanted to get my run in at lunch, but I had meetings all morning and right through lunch.  So frustrating!  After work I had Daddy-duty, pick the girls up, make sure homework was done, make dinner, etc.  Finally around 9:30PM I was able to get out and go running.  I was supposed to do an hour and 15 minutes, but I cut it short, going 6 miles in 49:15 (8:13/mile).  It was close to 10:30PM and I needed to shower and get to bed.

Today
I slept until almost 7:00AM, so nice to get up so "late".  I opted to push off my standard Wednesday BRICK to later on tonight since I got done so late last night.  In fact, I am probably going to run 4 - 6 miles at lunch today and just do my bike on the trainer tonight when I get home.  Granted it isn't a BRICK, but I am still getting the miles/time in.  I have a long-ish BRICK planned for Saturday (5 hour ride, 45 min run), so I am not overly concerned about not getting in a mini-BRICK today.

That is all for now.  Sayonara!

2 comments:

Sladed said...

My bike is in the shop as well. Some bearing issues that I'm happy came up before race day. May also be replacing the chain, along with the tune up. Like you say, better now than at the race! Reminds me of seeing Macca drop out of Kona due to a snapped gear cable on his bike.
Your workout adjustments, like the brick being split up, look reasonable to me. You will not compromise your being prepared. Lookin' good. (That 'longish' brick is a biggie!)

Sladed said...

Hey, i forgot to add that it's good the cables are being replaced now. I've heard (count me as a NONexpert!) that new ones can stretch out a little at the beginning and so you may need to make sure they are adjusted properly.