Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Recovery is Not Fun

I am three days removed from my Olympic distance triathlon on Sunday and I am just now getting over the soreness.  My runs have been really slow and painful, hopefully my next one on Friday will be OK.

Tuesday
Vacation is over which means back to the 4:20AM alarm...ugh!  I traded my nice comfortable bed for a Speedo and a salt water pool at my gym.  The indoor pool is undergoing some renovation so they are letting us use the outdoor salt water pool which is a nice change of pace. 

500yd wu, 4 x 100 drills, 7 x 125yd @:20sec,  7 x 75 yd @:15sec, 4 x 50 drills, 500 yd cool down

It was a good swim and being able to do it as the sun was just starting to rise was a nice treat as well.  The only bad part of the morning was the initial plunge in and the cold walk back to the locker room.  Two more days (Thursday & Friday) to possibly swim there, then it is back indoors.

At lunch I had an hour run which as I already stated was tough.  95F and 50% humidity...neither is a good number to have to run during.  I simply got the run done and was happy to take a nice cool shower afterwards.

Today
I was up at 5:15AM, headed to the basement to put in 45 minutes on the trainer and then followed that immediately with a 26 minute run (should have been 30 but time was getting short).  It was my day to get the girls on the bus (yes, already back in school, day 3 actually) and I had the pleasure of dealing with all of the morning drama that one would expect with two young girls who don't want to wear the clothes that are put out for them.  They are only 5 & 7 years old....I fear the teen year!!!

That is about it for now.  Oh on a side note I have posted for a couple new jobs at my current employer.  I am not all that happy with my job at the present time and I am not a big fan of my new boss.  I hope that something can come out of the jobs I applied for.  Fingers are crossed!

Adios!

3 comments:

Sladed said...

It must feel a bit different to swim in a saltwater pool.
Don't minimize the body stress from that Olympic. A few days at recovery effort is not only well-deserved, it will be good for you overall. Doing an Olympic gives you gains in speed and strength so let yourself absorb those benefits. [just my 2 cents!]

Jen said...

Fingers crossed on the job thing!

Here's a little FYI on what's going in here in AZ. The hubs and I made a reservation at a hotel in Fountain Hills AZ (closest lodging to Saguaro Lake) for the night before the race - just in case.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/08/27/20100827tempe-town-lake-ford-ironman-arizona-triathlon.html

miles99999 said...

Skip, I totally agree with the "easy" workouts (no speed) and recovery I am doing this week. I have listened to my body and feel great today. I am always open to suggestions and 2 cents.

Jen, my parents have a place in Mesa, which is only about 13 miles from Saguaro Lake, so if they move the swim to there it might actually work out better for me and them. Thanks for the heads up!