Thursday, September 30, 2010

Back on Track

Today marks day two of my getting back to my training plan and doing the work outs prescribed for me.  The past week or so has been a bit chaotic and unpredictable.  I have struggled to find the right times to fit in the right training.  Yesterday and today have been different, I have been able to follow my training plan verbatim and it feels good to be back on track.

A few words about non-triathlon stuff, family in particular.  My wife seems to be doing a lot better, she is sleeping through the night now, with no real pain in her ankle (although she just might not be telling me).  She has a appointment with her doctor on Monday to see how soon she might be able to drive.  My daughters are being great.  My little one (hence forth to be called "The Angel") is simply perfect, such a good listener and helper.  Granted she does have her moments, but honestly she is a great kid.  My oldest (hence forth to be called "The Diva") can be superstar when she wants to be, it is just a matter of her wanting to be.  On the other hand, she is so strong willed and determined that I admire her for just that.  She is a lot like me which is why we probably clash heads sometimes....and she is only 7 years old (I don't even want to think about the years to come).

This weekend is going to be crazy.  On Saturday, I have to take our dog to the vet at 8:30AM, then "The Angel" has dance at 9:30AM, then we have soccer pictures at 1:15PM for "The Diva's" team, and from 11:00AM - 3:00PM we have "Fall Fest" at the elementary school.  I am going to have to find a two and a half hour window in there to get in my long run (probably at 5:30AM) as well as time for a one hour spin on the bike (after Fall Fest I am thinking).  Then on Sunday I am going to have to get up well before dawn (leave the house by 5:00AM) to get in my six hour BRICK (five hour ride followed immediately by a one hour run).  Why so early?  I have "The Diva's" soccer game at 1:00PM.  Yes, it is going to be a busy weekend.

Monday
I really wanted to get in my two hour run that I missed on Sunday, but the vibe in my house wasn't to friendly.  So after I got home from work and made dinner for the girls I went out for my run, what ended up being 1:28:30, about 10.5 miles.  I thought that it would be best to cut it short and get home to help get the girls into bed.  Sometimes you have to do what is best for your family.  I think this was the right choice as smiles greeted me following my post-run shower.  I was able to sit on the couch with the family and chill before the girls bedtime.

Tuesday
I was able to work from home and went out at lunch to do my swim.  Again, I had to cut it short because time was not on my side.  I still made it count, putting in 2,500m in ~49:00.  Event though it was 1,000m short, I swim hard and posted some good splits.  I considered it a good quality workout.

Around 6:00PM I went out for my run, my legs were still a bit sore from Monday which had been my first run in five days.  I opted to go for 45 minutes and sprinkle in 6 x 2 minutes (1 min jog).  I was really happy with my run, my splits during the intervals were all around 6:30/mile pace which was solid.  I ended up running 6 miles in 46:30, 7:45/mile.

Wednesday
What a busy day, literally from the moment I woke up until I shut my eyes, here is what it looked like:
  • 7:00AM - 8:15AM - Start work (from home again, thank God!)
  • 8:15AM - 8:25AM - Get girls on the bus
  • 8:25AM - 1:00PM - Work, work, work
  • 1:00PM - 2:30PM - BRICK work out (Ride: 17 miles, 1:00:00 on trainer; Run: 3.8 miles, 30:00, 7:53/mile pace)
  • 2:30PM - 4:00PM - Work
  • 4:00PM - 4:45PM - Pre-make dinner and work.
  • 4:45PM - 6:00PM - Take "The Diva" to gymnastics, work while there.
  • 6:15PM - 7:00PM - Eat dinner and quiz daughter on vocabulary
  • 7:00PM - 8:15PM - Clean up and then get girls ready for bed (including shower for oldest daughter)
  • 8:30PM - 9:30PM - Fold laundry, check on girls, help out my wife when asked, etc., watched "Modern Family"
  • 9:45PM - I fell fast asleep while my wife watched "Cougar Town"
Today
I was up at 4:20AM, my throat was feeling really sore and I was congested.  I wasn't looking forward to swimming, but though, heck, the pool will probably clean out my sinuses.  I was in the water swimming by 5:15AM.  I did my full swim workout this morning (woo hoo!) for the first time in a week.  Total swim time:  1:09:00 (all of my sets were done under 2:00/100m...yeah!)

3,400m - 500m wu, 4 x 100m drills, 6 x (50m + 100m + 150m) @20 sec, 8 x 50m drills, 300m cd

As I thought, the swim pretty much cleared my sinuses...FYI, I do not blow snot into the pool, I have a towel on the deck into which I take care of my nasal business.

The rest of the day is going to be work, work, work.  Then when I get home I will make dinner and then run "The Diva" to her Brownie Meeting.  Once I return home I will be heading to the basement to do my 1.5 hour ride while catching up on some unwatched TV shows.  That is all for now....peace out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It must be so hard to train for an IM with 2 little ones at home, I commend you for that! And good to hear that your wife is feeling better. I've definitely had those weekends that you're having. They're tough, but you'll be tougher when you come out of it!

TrevorD said...

I wish I had the discipline to do my workouts at any time of the day like you do. While my kids are not as old, they do require 'daddy time' every so often and when it conflicts with a workout, I just ditch it for the day rather than fitting it in later. Keep it up!

Sladed said...

LOVE Modern Family!