Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Am I Back?

I am going to be an optimist today and say that I am back, and by that I mean I am back on the training wagon.  Next stop:  Fast-ville!

I haven't written here in a while (over a week), but that is because I have been so busy with work and family (things are a changing...for the good!).  I have managed to fit in training a bit more frequently over the past week.  A few nights pedalling away on the trainer in the basement and two or three runs out on the roads of Doylestown, PA.

This past Saturday and Sunday were very solid from a training perspective; let me begin with Friday though.  I took the day off because my Kindergartner had her "Spring Sing" concert at school.  She was standing front and center and did absolutely amazing.  We couldn't have been prouder of the job that she did.  Following the concert, we picked up a couple hoagies for the ride to Lavallette, NJ.  We did have a quick stop on the way down....details will be forthcoming in the near future.....before finally arriving at my parents house around 3:00PM.  The rest of the day was spent chilling out and letting my daughters just have fun playing.

Saturday morning I was up and out of bed at 5:10AM and on my bike heading north at 5:30AM.  I rode up to the Manasquan Inlet (on the Point Pleasant side), took a picture of the sunrise and then turned around to face the increasing south wind.  I trekked south past my 'rents house and made my way into Island Beach State Park.  I rode around four miles into it and then turned around and headed back north with a steady wind at my back.  The ride ended up being around 39 miles and I finished it in just under two hours (~19.3 MPH average).  I was pretty happy with it, especially considering it was only my second outdoor ride so far this year.

The rest of Saturday was spent at the beach, freezing for a good portion of it, trying to keep up with my daughters who were having a blast running around in the very low tide.  We also caught up with our "summer" friends who we really missed a lot. 

I was able to sleep in a bit on Sunday, but I did manage to get in a nice seven mile run.  I ran from our house down to Seaside Heights, turning around right at Midway Cheese Steaks (they are so greasy and good/bad).  It was a slow slog as I still don't feel like I have a slightest of fitness.  I trudged and trudged.  Once I got back to the Lavallette boardwalk I kicked it into a higher gear and managed to run the final mile in 7:58.  WOW, finally a sub-8 minute mile. DANG!!!

The rest of the day...you guessed it, up at the beach with the family.  The weather was a bit better, slightly warmer, but still not the advertised 80F.  I still had fun with the girls, playing in the sandbar with them, playing catch and digging a giant hole for them. 

Monday was an early departure from the shore as we had a ton of stuff to take care of, specifically lots of food shopping.  We did manage to head over to our pool for about and hour and a half, thanks to the desperate pleas from my oldest daughter.  I couldn't get over how warm the water was, especially this early in the season.  It will make for easier swim training now that I will be doing it all there at the pool as opposed to my old gym.

Now for why I think I am back in business with regard to my training.  Two things:
  1. I stayed up until 10:00PM last night putting together a training program.  I have printed it out and I will have it next to my bed at home for me to follow!
  2. I dragged my butt out of bed this morning at 5:05AM and went for a run.  It was a slow and short run, but I did manage to get it done.  I got out of bed, got dressed and actually ran.  This was a huge step for me.  So, I am going to say here and now that I am back and ready to start training for the NJ State Triathlon on July 24th. 
Happy training to everyone!  Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome job with your training! I find that having my schedule printed out in plain sight (and also as my background on my computer) makes it a lot easier for me to get done. More motivation! You're well on your way to fast-ville for the NJ tri!