Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Day Before the Day

I just finished watching the Tour de France Time Trial and I am inspired.  Cadel Evans absolutely ROCKED IT!  It was amazing to see him dig down and absolutely crush the Schleck brothers to take his first Tour de France title (he will ride to Paris in yellow tomorrow).  So glad that Alberto Cheat-ador won't end up on the podium this year and that the first Australian ever will win the Tour.

So, tomorrow is my first triathlon since IMAZ, the New Jersey State Triathlon (Olympic), and I am feeling OK about it.  I picked up my race packet earlier today (I am number 984 for anyone wanting to know).  I dont' expect to set any records (personal that is), but do hope to put in a respectable effort despite the excruciatingly hot temperatures we are experiencing on the East Coast.  My goals for tomorrow are as follows:

  • Swim (1,500m):  35:00 - I haven't been swimming nearly enough and frankly it wasn't until about two weeks ago that I started to feel comfortable in the water again.  Of course sub-30 minutes would be nice but I am realistic
  • T1 & T2:  ~1:30 - I really hope to be faster than that at each transition, but I am realistic about the heat and how delirious I may be after the swim and bike.
  • Bike (25.5 miles):  1:15:00 - That would put me around 20.4 MPH, a realistic goal, but I also think I can go around 1:12 (21 MPH).  We'll see.
  • Run (10K): 50:00 - Around 8:00/mile pace. Again, I think I can go faster, but I know it is going to be a brutally hot day tomorrow and I think the 50 minutes is doable.
  • Final:  2:43:00 - I should be able to go under 2:45:00, which would be just an OK race, but good considering the past seven months of training and not really focus on racing.  Family and job has taken priority over training, and I am realistic about what I should expect tomorrow.  Let's just go out and have a good race. Of course I do have a "what if everything goes right" goal:  2:32:00.  
Look for the race report early next week.  Cheers!

3 comments:

TrevorD said...

Good luck dude.

miles99999 said...

Thanks Trevor!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

How did you do?

Your questions were answered on my post