Monday, July 11, 2011

Just Like Jerry Seinfeld

For me lately things (training in particular) are going in all different directions.  I can't explain it really, maybe it is a different mindset on some (swim), or a lack of fitness (run), or being in a rut (bike).  Whatever the case I am trying to stay positive and realistic about where I am with triathlon at the present moment.  I kind of feel like Jerry Seinfeld, specifically from "The Opposite" episode.  My run lately has been horrible, I just can't breathe well, can't get my legs to turn over, it is just bad.  On the other hand, my swim last night was tremendous for me.  Every 100yd I swam was at or around 1:40, easily 10 seconds faster than it has been for the past few weeks.  I even managed to get into the 1:37/100yd range.  Lastly my bike has been steady and consistent.  I would like it to be better, but I know that I need to lose around 10 lbs in order for me to get faster and be a better climber....I am just carrying too much weight.  So there you have it:  Run - DOWN; Swim - UP; Bike - SAME.

Reality Check:  I am nine months removed from doing IM Arizona and have finally come to grips that I am kind of starting out at square one.  I dealt with a bunch of bothersome injuries from December 2010 through March 2011 and despite my delusions, I know that I am kind of starting again.  Gone are my days of heading out and running an easy 5 mile run at 7:45/mile pace...now it is more like 8:20 or slower.  My swim stroke made a surprise appearance last night, on a night that I almost didn't even head to the pool.  I have a race in two weeks and my expectation have been tempered by this "revelation".  I am going to be racing for fun, not for a PR.

Weekend Wrap Up
  • Friday - 1:15 ride on my bike trainer in the basement.  My in-laws were over, so I wasn't able to do my ride outside, no worries I did it after everyone went to bed. 
  • Saturday - I was able to get out for a 45 minute run prior to breakfast and the pool.  Again, not a stellar effort but I did manage to pick up the past for the last two miles or so.  My heart rate has been through the roof lately.  I think a visit to my doctor is in order.  Around 10:45 I went to the pool with my father-in-law and two daughters.  We spent the entire day there, not leaving until after 5:00PM.  I can not even tell you how many times I went of the diving boards at that pool.  I must point out that I did conquer one giant fear....I DOVE off of the the high dive (3 meter spring board).  I'm not saying that I "jumped" off of the high dive, I actually did a "dive", hands first into the water dive.  Yee haw!!!
  • Sunday - I had every intention of getting up and going for a bike ride at 6:00AM but I was just too tired and ended up sleeping in until 7:30AM.  After a breakfast I got the OK from my wife to go and play soccer with a bunch of "old" guys like myself at our local park.  It was a lot of fun, but I was hurting afterwards.  The rest of the day I thought was going to be a full on training day, but it didn't happen.  My wife had planned to take both of my daughters to a birthday party, but at the last minute she decided not to take my youngest.  No worries, after I cut the lawn, the two of us headed over to the pool.  We had fun splashing around in the water together, something I can't really do when my oldest is there.  It was nice to spend the day with her.

    The training highlight of the day was during my swim session at 8:00PM that night.  I had to force myself over to the pool to get a much needed swim in.  A quick note, on the numerous swims in the diving pool on Saturday I noticed that I was swimming very "choppy".  Also, before getting in the pool, I saw a friend of mine swimming and his stroke was looking really inefficient.  So I decided to try and lengthen my stroke and swim easier.  Well, it worked.  I completed my 300 yd warm-up in five minutes flat (1:40/100yd).  For my main set I did 5 x 100s followed by 6 x 50s.  For each of the 100s I was at or under 1:41/100 and for the 50s I was right at :47/50.  Again, for many a good swimmer that would be slow, but for me I felt great and know that I am capable of improving.
So there was my weekend, notice that there was no bike ride in there.  Sometimes you have to do things that make you happy (play soccer) or with people that make you happy (six year old daughter) or for people to make them happy (chores around the house for my wife).  I'll try and get the ride in tonight, but I am not going to fret if I can't get it in.  It is going to be a busy night and my family comes first.  Peace out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job on your improvement in your swim! I love when that happens. I felt like I was starting from square one this year wen spring/summer came around too because I packed on extra weight in the winter and hardly went outside for my workouts. It's been tough, but you'll surely come around! Good luck at NJ!

Theia said...

The first thing that comes to mind when I read about your slower runs is -- weather! It's nearly impossible to run consistently fast in this humidity, don't you think?

For example, this morning my schedule called for an easy run of about half an hour. It felt AWFUL out there (and today isn't even as hot/humid as it's been). It was a struggle; I thought I wasn't going easy enough and Coach would be mad at me. And then I saw my time... a 9:03 pace! That's very close to my long run pace. I thought I was going at least 15-20 seconds per mile faster than that. I blame it all on Mother Nature. She's a biotch. :)

Theia said...

Oh, and congrats on diving off the high dive! I have *never* been able to conquer that fear.