Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Love/Hate Summer

I love Summer because:
  • It is warm and the weather is usually good for training outside
  • It is so much fun riding my bike down at the Jersey Shore
  • I get to spend the occasional weekend with my family at my 'rents in Lavallette
  • Can go to our local pool with my kids, who are growing up very fast
  • I get to do my swim workouts outside
  • It is race season for those of us on the East Coast
  • I love to surf (even if I am atrocious)
  • My birthday is in August (I love ice cream cake)
I hate Summer because:
  • It can get really friggin' hot
  • II can not run when it is over 85F, my performance goes to crap
  • My exercise-induced asthma is at is peak and I can't breathe properly
  • I just don't want to go to work
  • My birthday is in August (I am moving up an a higher Age Group)
Training this week:
  • Monday - Rest day; I should have gone for a bike ride after work, but my daughter had basketball and I just didn't have time to do it.
  • Tuesday - I wanted to for a ride outside but it just didn't happen, so I did it in the basement and watch "Falling Skies" (which I DVR'd).  It was one of my better rides on the trainer, I was really happy with myself.
  • Wednesday - After work I hustled off to the pool to get in as many laps as possible before my daughters soccer practice.  I think I got in around 1,600 yds (I was hoping for 2,000+), and they were very rough yards.  On a positive note, I did my first 100yds in 1:33 (YEA!!!).  After my swim I had to pick up my daughter and take her to soccer; while there I did a very slow 30 minute run around the soccer complex (4 laps).  I just couldn't get my breathing right and my legs were really sore.  I am going to chalk it up to the head/humidity (thank you Theia).
  • Tonight - I am planning on heading to the pool to swim again if my wife lets me and then riding my bike when the kids are asleep.  We'll see what happens.
  • This weekend - Heading to the shore!!!

2 comments:

Theia said...

Ahh, jealous of your shore weekend!!!

Unknown said...

Have fun at the beach this weekend! Whenever I feel like I'm getting down on summer I just think about how much I HATE winter, then it makes it all better.