Monday, July 18, 2011

Finally....A Good Training Day!

It was a long time coming, and it finally happened. 

Was it on Saturday during my 7.1 mile run down along the boardwalks of Lavallette, Ortley Beach and Seaside Heights?  No, Saturday's run was not the day, although it was a better run than I have had on previous weekends.  I hit the boards at 6:45AM and was feeling OK at the start.  I stopped to check out the ocean, possibly surfing would be on docket for later on in the day (fingers were crossed).  Then it was go time and south I went, starting off around 8:20/mile pace.  I stayed around that pace for the first three miles or so, but then I started to get a tired and my breathing was really labored.  I have to figure out what the heck is going on with me.  I am taking Singulair every day and using Ventolin (inhaler) before every run.  Maybe it is just the heat and humidity, or maybe it is something more than that.

At 3.55 miles, just passed Midway Cheese Steaks I turned around and headed back home, definitely feeling it a bit but determined to negative split the second half of my run.  I did look around for Snooki, The Situation and the rest of the Jersey Shore crew but I couldn't find them.  I was visually bummed (see picture to the right).  The next half mile was rough, but soldiered through it and finally started to up my pace by mile 5.  The last stretch along the Lavallette boardwalk I was able to push it and finish strong with a 7:45 last mile!  I wasn't happy about the run overall, but I was encouraged by the last mile.

After my run it was time to head up to the beach with the family and we actually brought our ocean kayak up with us. My thinking was that my father could paddle along side me while I swam (it didn't happen though).  Instead I took my oldest daughter out for a ride in the ocean, her first time out in the kayak.  We had a really good time and she was so psyched to be out there with me.

So since my good training day wasn't on Saturday....was it on Sunday during my 28+ mile bike and 3 mile run (BRICK)?  YES, yes it was.  I was up early, around 5:30AM, and out the door around 6:15AM for my hour and a half ride.  I decided to go south since the wind was blowing from the WSW, meaning my ride back north might have a touch of a tail wind.  The ride in itself was pretty uneventful, I rode south into Island Beach State Park, a very flat, straight and pretty ride.  I maintained a solid 90 - 95 RPMs for my cadence, averaging around 18.5 MPH for the first 14 miles.  At the end of the park (see picture on the right), I swore I would pick up the pace and finish above 20 MPH average for the ride.  The ride back I was hauling, mile 15 was around 21 MPH, then each mile afterwards was a bit faster, 21.5, 22.6, 22.8, 23.0....with my last mile coming in at 24.6MPH.  I stopped my Garmin at my 'rents and it read:  28.32 miles, 1:24.31, 20.1MPH average.  Whew, thank God, I managed to do it.  I probably should have put in another 1.68 miles to make it an even 30 miles and hour and 30 minutes, but I really wanted to get my workout done and spend the day with my family. 

So immediately after my ride, I switched into my running shoes and headed out for a 3 mile run on the Lavallette boardwalk.  I felt a bit sluggish on the 1/4 mile up to the boards, but then managed to settle into a nice pace with the first mile done in 8:08.  Wow, that was a surprise, I didn't feel like I was really running all that fast.  The second mile went a bit faster - 7:55 - , again I didn't feel like I was struggling to keep a quick pace.  The last mile I definitely picked up the pace because I wanted my average below 8:00/mile pace.  I finished mile 3 in 7:45.  Total run stats:  3 miles, 23:48, 7:56/mile pace.

So there you have it, my first GOOD training day in a long while, where my pace is closer to where I would like it to be and more importantly my feeling good and not like I was on the very of an asthma attack.

The rest of the day was more kayaking (this time with both of my daughters), playing in the ocean with my oldest and trying to cram a little rest in there as well.  I did try to swim a bit but my arms were killing me from kayaking.  I really did want to get in a good open water swim, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Time to get some work done.  Cheers!

4 comments:

Theia said...

Woo hoo! A great training day right before a race is always welcome. :) I'm jealous of your paces. I did a 30 mile bike ride Saturday followed by a 3 mile run and was struggling to keep up with my friend. Our first mile was 8:23, and I think I finished with an 8:29 average. And it was a struggle!

Getting psyched for Sunday?

Oh, and my cousins have a house in Lavalette. :)

Unknown said...

It always comes back around eventually..good job!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That is some solid training, nice way to boost the confidence before a race

Theia said...

Hey. I am going to packet pickup tomorrow in the early afternoon (hope to be there by 1 at the latest). How will we find each other tomorrow or Sunday? Ummmm, my real name starts with an A and I'm in the old lady age group (haha, F45-49). I know your real name is Jamie, so I will try to find your bib number tomorrow.