Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beach Ride and Takin' it Easy

It has been a bit of while since I last wrote here. I usually do most of my daily recaps during lunchtime at work and I just so happen to be off of work this week so I don't have a whole lot of time to do updating. Why you may ask? Well, I am spending my days at the Fanny Chapman Pool with my two daughers. We are basically there from 11:30am until 4:30pm, just playing in the water having a good ole time.

One may think that having a week off from work would lend itself to training opportunities galore, but that just isn't the case when one has to keep there eyes on an ever curious and energetic 6 year old and a 4 year old shy, Daddy's girl. My role for the past few days has been the following: human diving board, virtual sling shot, mushy rock climbing wall and manual elevator....all while in waist to shoulder deep water. I have either had to get up at 6:00am to go running or ran over to the pool right before dinner to squeeze in a few laps.

Friday
I woke up around 6:45am and after a bit of putzing around I left for my bike ride to Lavallette. It was supposed to be around a 72 mile ride but I forgot to print out directions and missed a very crutial turn which added about 4 miles to the journey. It wasn't a terrible thing, but it did cause me to show up to see my daughters about twenty minutes later than I had planned. Final stats for the ride were as follows: 76.17 miles, 4:03:15, average of 18.8 MPH. My speed would have been faster had I not hit just about every red light during the last ten miles or so of the ride. I was very happy with my effort.

Saturday
I didn't really do a darn thing. I was a bit sore from my ride on Friday, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't have gone out and ran or swam. I did have a great time with my family on the beach.

Sunday
Back in Doylestown and a fun family day at the pool. I did manage to get in a 1,500 yard swim right before the pool closed. It was one of the best swims I have every had. I have been reading the books, "Be Iron Fit" and "Going Long" and the swimming information I have taken from them has had an immediate impact on my swimming.

Monday
I planned on running after dinner but it just didn't happen. It was a long day of playing at the the pool with my girls, then doing some work around the house, then dinner, then just not wanting to go out and do anything. I was beat.

Today
I got up around 6:20am and went out for a four mile run. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was significant in that I was able to get up and do an early morning run. I think my pace was around 8:30/mile (very slow)....but again, at least I got up and got it done. Then spend the day at the pool with the girls and squeezed in a swim right before dinner. It was only 1,000 yards, but I did get into the water.

That is about it for now. I am exhausted and really need to get some sleep. I never thought I would ever hear myself say this, but I can't wait until I am done with vacation so that I can get back to my normal training routine. Have a great night and get your rest!!!

No comments: