Friday, August 28, 2009

TGIF....wow I really had that Acronym!

Well, it is Friday and I am happy that it has finally come. This is the first full five day work week that I have endured in over a month. I have been fortunate to have been able to use seven vacation days (spent mostly with my wonderful daughters) and worked from home on an occassion or two. I am looking forward to heading home to see all the ladies of the house, ordinging a salad and some pizza and just chilling out.

As for my training....I decided that today is a full on rest day. I have gone relatively hard over the past week and my body is telling me that it might be a good idea to rest for the day. I had planned to head out and run 5 - 6 miles at lunch today, but my lower back isn't feeling so hot and I have been dealing with a twinge in my neck for the past week (it sucks getting older). Anytime I decided to take a day off from training I get a feeling of uneasiness. I think it is from me feeling like I am losing a day of fitness or that I will be falling behind. Even though I have read numerous articles about the benefits of a 100% rest day, it is always tough for me to rationalize it to myself.

Thursday
I did manage to get out and run yesterday and I really felt good. I ran at work during lunch with my friend Chris. He is always a bit faster than me, even though I thought that I might have been able to catch up to him earlier in the season. It was only a four mile run but we were able to do negative splits, with the final pace right around 8:13/mile (included an 8:30 1st mile that goes up a very solid hill).

Weekend Outlook
I'm looking forward to getting in some good training this weekend, in the pool, on my bike and in my running shoes. I don't have anything planned specifically, I figured that I would just play it based on how I feel. I just hope the weather hold out and I am able to get outside.

No comments: