Saturday, August 8, 2009

Race Day Eve

My last scheduled race of the season is tomorrow, the Steelman Olympic distance triathlon up in Quakertown, PA. I do anticipate doing another one or two races before the end of the season, probably the Skylands Triathlon (sprint distance) and possibly one in late September or early October. Regardless, this is my "big" race for this year since I don't plan on doing a half-iron distance or a fall marathon. I am feeling pretty good although I am still a bit nervous as I usually am before a long swim (anything over 800 yards). I am just not a very strong swimmer and I always get those butterflies in my stomach right up until my toes hit the water.

A little recap of the last day or so is in order I think. Yesterday was my birthday, now I am officially 38 years old and edging closer to moving up to the next Age Group and where I hope to actually place in these damn races. I had a great day. My wife and daughters got me some great stuff, specifically two Ironman training books that I am already started reading, "Going Long" and IronFit". I also go a great picture frame with about five or six pictures of my family. The best of all the presents were really presents at all, they were actually the cards that my wife and daughters all created. So creative and so sweet, I really loved them. My 'rents sent up presents as well, two new Specialized water bottle cages (blue) which match my bike perfectly and a Garmin-Slipstream Team Jersey (which I have to return because it is a female version)

I was able to get some training in yesterday, although I kept it pretty light. A 1,000 yard swim (18:43) and a 9 mile ride (19.2 MPH). I just wanted to get out and get my heartrate up and not kill myself too much.

As for today, I have taken it pretty easy. I did some chores around the house while my wife and kids headed over to Nanna & Pop Pop's house to hang with some Aunt's who in from out of town. I stayed behind because I had to head up to the race site to pick up my race packet and various other things.

That is pretty much it for now. Not too much going on right now. I suppose I am going to head up and eat some pasta for dinner and then put my bag together for tomorrow since I have to leave the house around 4:30AM. To all you who are racing this weekend, good luck!

No comments: