Wednesday, January 13, 2010

16 Hours - Bike, Swim, Run & Three Showers

The past sixteen hours has been action packed to say the least. I managed to complete a sort of mini-out of order-triathlon (bike, swim and run), which began around 9:15PM last night and finished at 12:45PM today. How did this come about you might ask? Well, I really didn't want to run yesterday because of the race I did on Sunday, and then the run on Monday. I thought that it would be smarter from a training perspective to get on my trainer and get some time in on the bike. Of course I did this not really thinking about what my "Wednesday" was going to shape up to be.

So last night around 9:15PM, after my girls were finally asleep (why does my 4 year old insist on laying in bed awake from 8:15PM - 9:15PM?), I headed to the basement to join my wife for some evening exercise. She had already put a mile in on the treadmill (good for her!) and I started to pedal away on the bike. As is always the case, it was fun to be down there spending some time with her, just talking and laughing (at the contestants on American Idol). She lasted for another mile or so, leaving me sweating solo (because I didn't want to watch the end of American Idol). It wasn't all bad, I watched last weeks episode of "Modern Family" (great, great, great show!!!) and tried to push myself a bit harder as the ride went on. I ended up doing 13.15 miles in 45:00 at 17.5 MPH, a solid ride where I picked up my average speed through out the ride.

After a quick shower (Shower #1), it was off to get some much needed sleep at around 10:30PM. The next thing I know it is 3:30AM, my oldest daughter is trying to climb into our bed because she had a bad dream. I brought her back to her room, ended up falling asleep there for an hour and then dragged myself back to my bed around 4:30AM. Then, I wake up at 5:20AM, apparently I missed my alarm again! I bolt out of bed, feed the dog, let him out and hit the road to the gym at 5:35AM.

Once at the gym, I went right to the pool and suffered through a relatively tough 750M in 15:13; tough partly because of the bike workout just eight hours earlier, partly because of my lack of solid sleep, and partly because my swimming just sucks (but not or long). I did manage to post a 1:52/100M which wasn't all that bad, not close to my sub-1:35s of last summer, but not too bad. I popped out of the pool, got cleaned up (Shower #2) and I was off to work.

I downed two bowls of Rice Krispies as soon as I got to work, around 10:00AM I need caffine (FYI, I don't drink coffee) so I drank a Cherry Coke, then at 11:15AM I was starving so I was eating peanut butter straight out of th jar. Then came the afternoon run, which was supposed to a relatively easy effort since I was still a bit out of it from the previous 14 or 15 hours. It started out relatively well, an 8:05 first mile and the second mile was a bit slower still at 8:15...I was happy with the slower pace despite the fact that I felt pretty good. Well, then Chris and bill started to push the pace a bit (I think it was them, it might have been me) and mile three was in 7:43 and mile 4 at 7:29. All in all we did 4.05 miles in 31:52 (7:52/mile) with my heartrate around 154 BPM. I was surprised that we picked it up that much at the end, but I felt fine. Oh yeah, then I bathed yet again (Shower #3).

So I sitting here at my desk procrastinating, with skin that could not be more dry thanks to the three hot showers I have taken over the past 16 hours and ah yes, I still smell like chlorine.
A couple final notes:
  • I finally got my new camera yesterday, a Nikon D3000. I really wanted the D5000, but I couldn't justify the extral $200 to get slightlymore megapixels and video on the camera. It is my first Digital SLR so I figured if I get really into taking pictures I can always upgrade in a few years.

  • I still have not gotten my K-Swiss running shoes (there they are below). I called TriVillage today to follow up and I am just not having any luck with my order. First the Craft Sweden Hat was sold out, so that held up the order, then I found out (today) that my shoe size was out of stock as well. The did promise that they would have it in the mail by the end of the day and they would be expediting it so that I can get it in a day or two. I hope so, my shoes are in bad shape.

That is it for now. Oh I will post some pics from my races in a bit. Adios!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Come tomorrow morning at 6:30am I'll join the bike swim run club too! You can NEVER go wrong with peanut butter straight from the jar! I've been doing that on a daily basis for the past week.