Friday, January 8, 2010

Vacation Over - Back to Business

It has been quite a while since I last wrote in this; a bit longer of a vacation than I initially thought. Things have been going well for the most part. Christmas was great, my daughter really likes her drums (my wife not so much). New Years was pretty much uneventful as I fell asleep on my youngest daughters floor around 10:30PM and woke up around 12:10AM.

I have maintained a pretty good training schedule, running and riding consistently throughout my week and a half off from work. In fact, my running clubs Winter Series has officially kicked off and I was able to run my second fastest 5K ever (20:54)....well, at least over the past 10 years or so. I also had the pleasure of volunteering at winter series race last weekend...it was around 20F and friggin' cold. I was stationed in registration, which means noting who shows up and what place they finish in. It was a very cold day....one that I didn't warm up from for a few hours. We have a 5.3 mile race this coming Sunday and I hoping to continue to improve on my times I posted last year when I won my age group.

Oh, I also joined a gym this week, the Hunterdon YMCA. By saying "join" I mean that I signed up for a one month trial membership and based on how this month goes I will either join there or possibly at the more plush HealthQuest in Flemington. I am leaning towards HQ since the facility is so much nicer (and they have towels there).

As for my day at the "Y" yesterday, wow am I out of swim shape. I could barely make it 100 yards without drowning. That is what I get for not swimming at all over the past four or five months. This is probably the hardest part for me, getting back into swimming. I am happy that I have gone ahead and taken the proverbial plunge and gotten back into the pool sooner rather than later. I see the swim as the place where I can dramatically cut time, so the more work I get in now the better I will be come triathlon season.

That is about it for now. I will update more frequently starting next week. Things have been pretty hectic lately and I have been a bit overwhelmed with everything I thought I would have to write in here. Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job on the 5k! Good job getting back in the pool sooner rather than later, I learned that lesson the hard way last year after skimping out on the pool for 8 months.