Thursday, January 28, 2010

Where Did This Snow Come From?

I left my house at precisely 5:13AM to go to the gym, i.e. the pool.  It was cold out, but only the occasional flurry would pass in front of my headlights.  I thought absolutely nothing of it since the weather report for today stated a bit of a warming (up into the low-40s) and maybe some afternoon rain.  So I didn't think anything of it, and once I arrived at the gym it was all business, which I will get to in a minute.


You can only imagine the surprised look on my face when I emerged from the gym to find snowflake after snowflake plummeting to the ground, covering everything in sight and making for a very tricky walk to my car....I was wearing penny loafers, sans penny.  The 10 mile drive I have to my office usually take no more than 15 minutes; however, this morning it was in excess of 30 minutes.  The roads were a mess and I must have seen at least five or six cars stuck on the side of the road.  Crazy how no one talked about the snow.


As I look out the window not, it is still coming down at a very good pace and it doesn't appear to be stopping.  It should make my afternoon run pretty exciting.


Now, as for my swim this morning, not to bad.  I did 1,250M in about 26:14, which included a 400M warm-up and then 6 x 100s with 30 sec rest (probably too long of a rest but I was hurting) with a 250M cool down....I actually went pretty hard on the last 50M, hard being a relative term considering my lack of swimming endurance at this point in time.  All in all I was pretty happy with how it went and wanted to swim an additional 250M, but time was running short and I wanted to get in some abdominal work before getting in the shower.


Time to get to work.  I am looking forward to my afternoon run, I love running in crap weather.  Adios!


Added at 2:30PM:  What a great run at lunch!  The roads were clear of all snow, the temps were up to around 40F and the sun was out.  Just a beautiful day to be out running.  I did have one minor issue....I forgot my Garmin at home so I was running old school, sporting a Timex Ironman on my wrist.  I did five miles in 38:50 (7:46/mile), and felt pretty good the whole way.  Just a happy day outside minus technology (no GPS, no heartrate monitor, no iPod)....oh and a new visor!

No comments: