Friday, July 16, 2010

Feeling Good....but for How Long?

Friday morning and I feel really good.  I slept in until 7:00AM this morning for a nice 7.5 hours of sleep last night, unusual for me lately.  I opted to work from home today because I am heading to the shore tonight and didn't want to be driving all over the place after work (work, to home, to the shore) and getting down there around 8:00PM tonight.  So I am well rested and looking forward to my run, swim, run workout this afternoon.  As for now I am just taking a little break from work to jot some things down, e.g. yesterdays workout, the past few days, etc.

Wednesday Night
After work, my wife, daughters and I went out for a quick dinner before going to see "Despicable Me".  The movie was really funny, so glad that we went to see it.  The girls really loved it, they were laughing out load for most of the movie...and my wife and I were definitely guilty of throwing out some loud chuckles throughout.

Thursday
I was up early (4:20AM), but I didn't leave for the pool right away.  I sat there with my neck still sore as hell, debating whether or not I should go to the pool or not.  After a good ten minutes I decided to give it a go and if it didn't loosen up I would just end my work out early.  Before heading into the pool, I grabbed a HOT shower and did my best to loosen up the kink and it did a lot of good, I was definitely a bit looser following.  My swim ended up going pretty well, it was a moderate interval work out - 500m warm up, 4 x 100 drills, 7 x 125 @20 sec, 7 x 75 @15 sec, 8 x 50 drills, 300 cool down.  I don't have the exact time, but I think it was right around 1:02:00. 

The second training session of the day was an lunchtime ride.  I decided to go somewhere I haven't gone before, around my office.  I planned for an hour and 19.5 miles, with a good amount of hills over the first seven miles or so....oh how my plans changed.  My legs were a bit sore, my quads specifically, but I thought I just had to loosen them up a bit.  I didn't have a lot of time to ease into my ride, because after about three miles the climbing began.  Sweat was pouring down my face, my lungs were burning and I was wishing I had chosen a different route.  I sucked it up and and convinced myself that this could only make me stronger.  About 45 minutes in I had to cut the ride a bit short because I needed to get back to work.  This wasn't a bad thing because it meant I could just fly back to the office, lots of downhills (averaged 37 MPH for one mile!!!  Wahoo!!!).  Total ride stats:  17.75 miles in about 1:01:00 (~17 MPH average), not super fast but the initial hills just killed my average.

Today
Pre-lunch run in the stifling heat....holy cow that was a miserable run.  I ran for an hour, but I wasn't able to get seven miles in.  What the hell?  Just too hot out there to even think about going fast, or even just plain ole average.  The pool awaits me and a 3,000m straight swim.  It's going to be a little over two hours of training for the day, it could be worse.

So that is what is going on.  Looking forward to being at the beach later tonight, going for a ride at the beach tomorrow and then spending the day at the beach with the family.  Sayonara!

No comments: