Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Training and Being Lucky

Things are going a bit better today than they have recently.  I'm not sure why, I just feel a little bit more at peace with things.  Then again, maybe it is more about me being exhausted and less being at peace....I'll take it though.  Not much to report other than the fact that I really need to catch up on my sleep or more ideally, I need to start getting to sleep by 9:00PM so the 4:20AM alarm doesn't hurt so much.

Thursday
Ugh, up at 4:25AM....God I hate that time of the morning (or is that night?).  I was in the water and swimming by 5:20AM, and I felt OK.  The swim workout that I had on tap was one that I am not all that fond of because the distances are a bit awkward.  Here is what I had:
  • 500m warm up
  • 4 x 100m drills
  • 7 x 125m @20 seconds
  • 7 x 75m @ 15 seconds
  • 8 x 50m drills
  • 300m cool down
That extra 25m on the end of the 125s and 75s is a pain in the ass.  I think for the most part I got stronger as I went along and overall I was pretty happy with my effort.  I finished the 3,000m workout in 1:02:00.

As for my Thursday bike, I was able to ride at lunch time for a change...so happy that I didn't have to do it on the trainer in the basement (or was I).  I mapped a ride out that would take me from my office, around Round Valley Reservoir and then back to work.  On paper it looked like it was going to be tough, a couple 7%+ climbs, but with some good downhills as well.  Well, it was definitely tougher than my trainer, that's for sure.  I was soaked about halfway through it and my heart rate was through the roof, thanks to the steep climbs.  The whole time I was riding I was thinking about home much stronger I would be as a result of climbs.  All in all the ride was 20.25 miles and it took me 1:07:00 (18.0 MPH average), a time and average that I am totally OK with given the terrain.

As for my sleep on Thursday night, I think that I was up until about 10:45PM playing FIFA 2010 (with my friend who lives in Florida) was probably a mistake.  I had all intentions of being done by 10:00PM but it just didn't happen.  Thus I only managed about five solid hours of sleep.  I am so stupid!!

Today
I allotted myself an extra five minutes of sleep this morning, like that made any difference.  As usual I was at the gym by 5:15AM.  What did I have in store?  A straight 3,000m swim.  I hate the straight swim, but it had to be done.  My first 200m was good (~4:00), then my second was horrific (~4:24).  I don't know what the heck I was thinking.  I managed to pull it all together (if that is what you want to call my lack of swimming speed) and averaged around 4:15/200m for the remaining 2,800m.  The whole time I was swimming I couldn't help but think that every other triathlon I do this year will most likely be wetsuit legal which means that my swim times will improve dramatically (WAHOO!!!).  3,000M - 1:03 (2:07/100m)

This afternoon I have run planned for lunch, 1:00 Z2, at :45 minutes, insert 7.5 min Z4.  Looks like around an easy 5.5 mile run followed by a 7.5 minute hell-fest before my 7.5 minute cool down.  The temperature has dropped a bit, so the run shouldn't be that bad.  As for this weekend, tomorrow is a 3.5 hour ride (no route planned yet) FIB a :30 minute run.  Sunday, :30 minute ride followed by a 1:15 run.  Add all that up and it is my longest training week to day - 13 HOURS!!!  Peace out!

No comments: