Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pain in the Neck....and I Don't Mean the Rain

The rest day is behind me and I have two days of rough training under my belt thus far this week.  I don't know what it is but yesterday and today have been really tough for me.  I just feel tired.  It may have something to do with my only getting about six hours of last the past two nights....yeah, that probably has something to do with it.  Regardless, I am hoping that I will feel better as this week goes on.

Tuesday
I was up and out of bed at 4:20AM, my new wake up time for the mornings when I have to swim.  Since my swim workouts are now 3,000 meters, I have to get to the pool a bit earlier so that I can get my swim done by 6:30AM (and be at work by 7:00AM).  So how did my swim go?  Oh geez, it was not good.  About 200m into my warm-up my neck started to tighten up and it just got worse and worse.  I had to stop and figure out what I should do.  My first thought was, do I bag the remainder of the swim?  It hurt every time I tried to take a breath.  I decided to try and push through it and hope that the muscles would loosen up a bit.  The muscles did loosen up a bit as I swam and I managed to complete my entire work out (500m warm-up, 4 x 100 drills, 200-300-400-500 @45 sec, 4 x 100 drills, 300m cool down) in a little over an hour.  Immediately after the swim I took a scorching hot shower and did everything I could to stretch out and loosen my neck muscles.  I left feeling OK, not great, but OK.

The second work out of the day called for a 45 minute run with 5 min. at Zone 4 after ten minutes.  Well, the 45 minute run happened, but not the Zone 4 stuff.  I headed out at lunch with my friend Chris, into a monsoon.  The rain was pouring down in buckets; we were completely drenched within just a few minutes.  At least it was a touch cooler out and the fact that we were wet so quickly made things a bit easier.  We plugged along at around 8:10/pace, nothing special to report...oh, I did forget to use my inhaler again which made for a difficult time breathing, oh and my neck still bothering me didn't help.  Other than that the run was a good one, 48 minutes, 5.82 miles (8:15/mile.....but there was a mini-break in there for Chris to tie his shoe).

Today
I got to sleep in a bit this morning....5:20AM!!!  Actually, I wanted to get up at 5:00AM, but turned my alarm off and then stayed in bed for an extra 20 minutes.  I think it was a good choice.  Once out of bed I went immediately to the basement, climbed on my bike and put in 45 minutes.  My neck was still hurting, but it loosened up a bit as I went along.  I watched the first half of the 2006 Ironman World Championships, I just love watching those shows, so inspirational.  After the ride, it was a quick change and then out for a 15 minute run, where I flt really good.  My first mile was a bit slow, 8:15, but I picked it up for the second half, averaging 8:00/mile pace (15:00, 1.84 miles, 8:09/mile).  I could have gone faster if I didn't have this neck-thing going on.

The rest of today is a rest day which is a great thing.  I will be up early again tomorrow and Friday for my morning swim sessions, and trying to squeeze in an hour ride at lunch tomorrow (pray for no rain) and an hour run on Friday.  Add into all of that spending time with my beautiful wife and amazing kids, and well, I guess I have a full week ahead of me.  Hasta luego!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This rain (today especially around here) has been out of control, but very much needed! Maybe you slept weird and that's why your neck is bothering you? I start to crumble too when I don't get enough sleep, so get that sleep! I know, easier said than done.