Monday, July 19, 2010

Just a Tremendous Weekend

What a fantastic weekend!  I was down in Lavallette at my 'rents house, with my wife and daughters.  Training aside, we just had such a good time at the beach, in the ocean, and just hanging out.  I was able to get out and go surfing for bit on Saturday night and Sunday morning (more on that later) and I perked a bit of interest in my oldest daughter who now wants to surf.  Anyway, here's how the weekend went down....

Friday
After my horrific run in the scorching heat, I did some more work (gotta pay the bills) and then decided to head to Fanny Chapman Pool to get my 3,000 yd straight swim in.  I felt pretty good for the first 1,000 yds (18:00) and then everything started to slow down considerably after that.  I think my second 1,000 was around 19:00 and my last 1,000 was close to 20:00....yeah, very slow.  I think the hour run at noon might have contributed to my lack of speed and energy at the end of my swim.

Following the swim I had to do some driving, e.g. pick-up nutrition for my weekend training, pick up my girls from camp, etc.  Then it was home to pack up the car and head to the shore (it took around two hours for us to get down, so frustrating).  Me and the little ones were really happy to be there.

Saturday
I was up at 4:30AM and out the door riding by 5:15AM, despite the looming thunder and lightning to the south.  So which way did I head?  South of course, down to Island Beach State Park.  I rode from my 'rents house to the end of the park (~14.2 miles) and back, encountering a little rain, but nothing that would stop a ride.  With a little over 28 miles done, I headed north to Point Pleasant (~10 miles).  Once in Point Pleasant, riding along the boardwalk, the weather started to improve and the sun popped out from behind the early morning clouds (pic to the right).  It was here that I really started to enjoy the ride, the sun was visible, sky was clearing to a beautiful light blue, and I was relaxed and cruising at around 20 MPH towards home.  It was such a good feeling...not necessarily a smile on my face below, but definitely not a frown. 
I ended up putting in 48 miles in exactly 2:30:00, good for 19.2 MPH, with my average cadence right at 95 RPM.

Immediately following my ride I did a quick change into my running shorts and I headed out for my 15 minute run (transition was around three minutes....a mellow change).  I actually felt really good, and my pace was a solid 7:40/mile.  I wasn't trying to run "fast", but rather I was just going with how I felt and how my legs would carry me.  I finished around 1.9+ miles in 15 minutes.

After a cold shower and breakfast, it was time to head up to the beach with the family.  It was kind of an odd day in that my youngest daughter really didn't want to be at the beach.  In fact, around 11:00AM she told my wife she wanted to head home and take a nap (and the went home and she took a two hour nap).  I stayed up at the beach with my 'rents and my oldest.  We had a good time playing in the ocean (moderate sized surf), ducking under and floating over the waves.  I can't get over how confident my daughter is in the ocean, which is a good thing.  The one thing that I can say is that she is also learning to respect the ocean, as the current was a bit strong (very strong for a seven year old), and she would get whisked away pretty quickly when I wasn't holding on to her.  That got her attention quickly.

After heading home and chilling for a bit (including eating dinner), it was time for me to head back up to the beach for some sunset surfing (almost sunset).  I haven't been out riding waves in about two year, but I was excited to get out there.  The surf was only about 2 - 3 foot, but that was perfect for me and my 8' Gordon & Smith (Farrelly by Gordon & Smith).  I had a blast!  I forgot how much fun surfing is, even when wiping out, it is still fun (I hope to have pictures in the next day or two).  The highlight of the night though wasn't my surfing experience, but rather my friend Dan's son (Shane, 5 years old with bright blue eyes).  It was his first time trying to surf on a real surf board.  Dan would start him off and I would stay ahead of him should he wipe out or get caught under.  Shane stood up on his first wave and immediately fell in love with surfing.  He must have ridden six more waved before calling it a night (actually Dan called it a night).  The look on both of there faces were priceless, one beaming with pride (Dan), the other with pure joy and excitement (Shane).  Such a great way to end the night.  Oh, also, my oldest daughter was convinced that she would be learning to surf now as well (I was starting to beam with excitement).

Sunday
I was up and out of the house by 6:15AM for a 30 minute ride, down to Seaside Park and back, keeping my cadence up near 100 RPMs (10.2 miles in 33 minutes, 18,5 MPH).  My legs were a touch sore, but the ride loosened them up.  I rested for about five minutes following my ride, then headed out on my hour run.  I felt surprisingly good, my feet moved quickly, my legs didn't feel heavy.  I chose to just run the Lavallette boardwalk because there are water fountains every quarter mile or so, and I didn't want to carry water with me.  Not much to report, just ran the boardwalk, up and back, up and back.  Total run was 1:00:30, 7.25 miles, 8:20/mile pace....just a solid run (much better than my Friday afternoon run, whew that was bad). 

I took a quick shower, ate and then headed to the beach with my oldest to try to teach her to surf.  In short, the surf was a bit rougher than the night before, Dan and Shane didn't make it up, and the confidence that had been there disappeared.  There was not going to be an in-water surf lesson (just "popping" on the beach).  Regardless, we had fun up there until the rest of the clan showed up around 9:45AM.  I did manage to get out and ride a few waves before the lifeguards yelled at me to get out.

The rest of the day was spent at the beach, body surfing,  going in and out of the water with my 7-year old, "jumping the waves" with my 5-year old, and doing my best to rest in between.  Even though it was really friggin' hot out, we all had a great day.

Today
I woke up at 6AM and was sore all over.  The beach did me in.  My neck is still sore, although it is not debilitating.  I am considering heading over to my sports doc to have him fix it, something I should have done last week.  Time to get some work done....and try not to fall asleep.  NJ State Triathlon on Saturday, I am hoping to finish in the top 30.  Adios!

No comments: