Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Good Days, Bad Day

After Saturday's race it was back to Ironman training.  There is not rest for the weary and I couldn't rest the day after the race, I had training to do and I couldn't bail on it!

Sunday
I was able to sleep in until about 7:15AM, thanks to a tired wife and two exhausted little girls.  I lounged around until around 8:30AM when I decided that it was time to get my ass in gear and head out for my three hour ride.  I was on the road a little before 9:00AM and it was already hot out, Africa hot.  I realized right then why it is better to leave the house by 5:15AM rather than 9:00AM.  I soldiered on and rode out to Evansburg State Park, which ended up being kind of a let down.  I guess I expected a big lush park and although nice and the fact that I was only really on the eastern side, it wasn't all that interesting.  I was happy to make the turnaround and head for home.

I don't have a lot to say about the ride other than it was HOT and I had just enough fluids to get me home.  I ended up riding 54 miles in 3:00:00, averaging 18 MPH.  It was hilly, hot and humid...I can live with those numbers.

I followed the ride with a 25 minute run (was supposed to be 30, but I cut it short), which was supposed to be run in Zone 2 (heart rate).  I had to walk a few times to get my heart rate down, the ride and heat were driving it way up and I couldn't cool down.  I was happy to get it over and done with.  When I got home I found myself locked out of the house so I went to the back yard, set up a chair, grabbed a hose and did my best to keep cool until the ladies arrived home.

Monday
Rest day!!!  It was so great to be able to rest all day and not do anything.  I picked up the girls from school, got a lot of love from my youngest (big hug and kiss) and a little from my oldest (moderate hug). 

Tuesday
I was up at 4:25AM and immediately asked myself, "Why am I doing this?"  I didn't dwell on it, I simply got dressed and headed to the pool.  I put in 3,000 meters (500wu, 4 x 100 drills, 200-300-400-500 @:45 seconds, 8 x 50, 300 cool down) and felt OK doing it.  I had some really good smooth laps and some struggling to get through them laps.  It took me about 1:02:00 to finish it all up.

Work, work, work, then an afternoon run.  It was hot out, but no nearly as humid.  I made sure that I was drinking water throughout the day and I think it made a big difference on my run.  I did a 10 minute warm up, then 2 x 4:30 Z4 with 1:30 recovery, followed by a Z2 run for the remainder of the hour run.  The Z4 sections were tough and I pushed it hard (around 7:00/pace).  I ran around 7.4 miles in 1:00:59.  I was surprised by how good I felt afterwards, it had to be the water I drank, properly hydrated was I!

Today
Another late-early morning, meaning I slept in until 5:15AM (yea!).  Within 15 minutes of getting up I was in the basement and on my trainer riding (45 minutes) along watching the 2007 Ironman World Championships (love them!).  I felt OK and was sweating like crazy....I forgot to set up the fan.  I did my best to push myself and put in a good ride.  I followed that immediately with a 30 minute run all in Z2 (heart rate).  I started out at an easy pace but picked it up at the end.  All in all a really good morning work out and totally done by 6:50AM!!!!  So psyched!

So above are the good days...now for the bad day.  I am really not happy at work right now.  We have undergone a significant reorganization and new people have been brought in.  My role has been turned upside down and the focus has shifted 180°.  The past three weeks have been very frustrating for me and I am looking to make things better for myself.  I hope that everything turns around soon.  I want to be happy at work, I don't want to dread every moment that I am there.  Stay cool and be happy!

No comments: