Monday, August 2, 2010

All Hail the Rest Day!

I am really looking forward to my rest day today.  The fact that I am supposed to absolutely nothing today with regards to training is such a relief.  No swimming, no biking, no running.  Ah sweet relief.  With all of that said, I had a really solid weekend of training!  I put in a great ride on Saturday followed by a really good run, then Sunday a quick ride followed by a decent run.  All in all I am very proud of what I accomplished.  Here are the details...

Saturday
I was up and out of bed by 5:00AM, so that I could start my 3.5 hour ride early.  Well, it took me a little time to actually get going and I don't think I left the house until around 5:45AM (damn!).  I decided to head down across the river and into New Jersey, then south along Rte. 29 South.  I then progressed along what was the bike course of the half-iron distance triathlon (Jerseyman) I had done back in September 2008.  I forgot how tough a course it was, a lot of gradual climbing.  Around mile 30 I veered off the course and rode up about a five mile climb (Rte 579 in Pittstown) that was just a killer, but I plugged along and was looking forward to the descent....which was awesome!!!  I finally made it back down to the river and I flew along Rte 29 South averaging around 21 MPH (passing the runners participating in the River to Sea relay race).  Then made my way back home, putting in ~64.5 miles in 3.5 hours, for an average of 18.42 MPH

In front of NJ's only remaining covered bridge, wearing tube sock arm warmers.
Beautiful NJ country side, a hot air balloon can be seen way off in the distance.

A big ass corn field....most folks not familiar with NJ don't think such sites exist in NJ.

Immediately off the bike, I threw on my running gear and put in a 30 minute run.  I felt so great running.  I ran 3.75 miles averaging 8:05/mile pace, my legs just went and I followed.  My heart rate was in Zone 2 the whole time.  Just a great training day!

After my training was over at 9:50AM (that's right done with 64 mile bike and 3.75 mile run by 9:50AM!!!!!) it was house and family time.  I did some work around the house, we ate lunch, then we headed to the pool.  Following the pool we went to dinner at M.O.M.'s in Doylestown, went to GAP to get some clothes for the girls, had ice cream at Coffee & Cream, and then went grocery shopping at Acme.  Whew, that was a busy night, we didn't get home until after 9:00PM and the girls were exhausted!  Actually, I was exhausted too.

Sunday
I guess you could say that I slept in...till 6:30AM.  I didn't leave the house until 7:15AM though, yet all of the ladies of the house were still passed out.  30 minute ride into town and back (9.3 miles). My quads were a bit sore from Saturday, but not painful.  Back to the house for a quick change and I was on the road running by 7:50AM (still no sign of life in the house, they all must have been pretty tired to be sleeping so late).

My run was pretty uneventful.  I was a bit sore and my pace a bit slow, but I ran what I was supposed to run (1.25 hours) in the heart rate zone I was supposed to hold (Z2).  I ran a relatively tough route, with a mile long climb two miles in.  Total run stats - 1:15, 8.75 miles, 8:33/mile pace.

I was done by 9:10AM, showered, did a bagel run for the girls, ate a pork roll, egg, & cheese sandwich (so good!), then passed out on the couch for about an hour.  A nap that was really needed.  I can honestly say that I didn't do anything else for the rest of the day.  I did want to go to the pool and relax there, but we had some pretty severe thunderstorms and very heavy rain, so leaving the house wasn't really in the cards.  No worries though, I was happy to just lay around for the day.  I think I was in bed by 9:30PM and asleep by 10:15PM.  I was beat!

Today
REST DAY!!!  I am going to be taking it easy today, maybe I can head to the pool after work with the girls.  We'll see.

Final Thought
Last night before bed my wife was talking to my oldest daughter.  My little one told her that she doesn't think I praise her enough when she does a good job (e.g. last night was the first time she changed her earrings all by herself..although at the time I didn't know it).  It really got to me that I am her Dad and I should be her biggest fan and supporter.  Apparently I am not doing such a good job of it.  I have to do better.  I wear a blue rubber bracelet on my left wrist, it is from a World Cup Festival that my older daughter and I went to a couple months ago.  I wear it not only to remind me of the day we spent together, but also as a visual reminder for me to be patient with her and be supportive of her.  I guess it seems like it isn't doing its job.  I have to do better.

No comments: